February 28, 2010 in Software (F)
[prMac.com] Cincinnati, Ohio - Code by Kevin has released Manpower 3.1, a program that provides a simple, elegant three-pane interface that makes reading man pages on OS X as easy as reading e-mail. Manpower is a Mac OS X graphical user interface to the main system of Unix software documentation, the man page.
Man pages are concise but thorough descriptions of the functionality and methods of the various Unix command-line programs; there may be hundreds of such programs installed on a Unix or Linux system. Man pages are typically accessed in the Unix terminal by typing the phrase "man program," with "program" being the specific name of the Unix tool you are trying to learn more about.
While accessing the man page system in this manner is efficient, it has limitations. It is difficult to read documentation in the Unix console; the type is usually very small, and can only be read one screen at a time, making scrolling and skimming through the material a tedious process. Manpower provides a simple, elegant three-pane interface that makes reading man pages as easy as reading e-mail.
Manpower compared to Terminal and other man page viewers:
* Clean, three-pane interface: Reading man pages is as easy as reading e-mail
* Search, browse, display, and save new man pages in a single window
* Thorough user documentation via the "Help" menu
Among the new features in version 3.1:
* Can now enter specific man pages in entry field for display
* Can now bookmark specific man pages
* Now includes support for AppleScript and Services
* Main window behavior now fully conforms to Mac UI standards: window hides when closed or via Command-W, and minimizes via Command-M
* Various bug fixes and UI improvements
Pricing and Availability:
To install Manpower, download the latest version. It can be installed anywhere on your machine. The download is a 30-day demo; you can purchase a license to use the program past the 30-day trial period. Mac OS X 10.5 is the minimum supported platform. A license for the full version of Manpower is $19.95 (USD).
Code by Kevin develops software that makes the Mac's Unix foundation easier to use. For more information about our products visit them online.