February 3, 2008 in Publishing (F)
[prMac.com] XChange International, the source for extended technology worldwide, are pleased to announce XTend-Xport and BatchXport for QuarkXPress v7. The main purpose of document extractors is to significantly reduce the manual work needed to create text and image content suitable for web and database applications. Using BatchXport or XTend-Xport means no endless configuration processes to create multi-use output from QuarkXPress document text.
XTend-Xport and BatchXport offer automatic export of well structured XML data from QuarkXPress documents and no coding or tagging is required. Extracted document content includes rich tagged text, images converted to JPEG and optionally, document and article PDFs. Exports may be used in any application that supports XML data such as web systems for newspapers, specialised database applications or e-paper systems.
BatchXport and XTend-Xport create identical output formats. The difference is that BatchXport does it automatically, while XTend-Xport is manually controlled. XTend-Xport is designed to easily extract multiple formats from QuarkXPress documents with a single mouse click. BatchXport lets users create a fully automated, unattended export system.
BatchXport is XTend-Xport, controlled by an integrated script. The fully automated application can process files found in local or network hot folders and performs multiple types of extractions from QuarkXPress documents. BatchXport is configured by Job Tickets defining the actions to perform on given hot folders. Job Ticket definitions are automatically loaded when QuarkXPress launches and BatchXport immediately starts monitoring the specified hot folders.
BatchXport converts a complete standard daily newspaper to e-Paper in less than 10 minutes. This enables editors to publish web content concurrently with the printed product. The integrated e-paper functionality lets users view and navigate exported documents as e-paper in XML-enabled browsers. Whether this functionality is enabled or not is the editor's choice.
Text extraction features include:
- The unique Article Components Recognition system (ACR) automatically finds all components belonging to an article: title and lead boxes, article text boxes, image legends, images, etc.
- The created CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) represents all the styles used in the currently extracted document and may be modified by the user to match display needs
- Extract formats: XML, ePaper enabled XML, HTML4, HTML3, plain text
- UTF-8 Universal encoding
- Export of Tables to XML and HTML code
- Enlarge or reduce the original font sizes during export
- Extraction of hidden markers
Image extraction features include:
- Extract formats: JPEG, PICT, copy original - without external image conversion software
- Extracted images and previews are linked into the text output file
- Integrated image smoothing function and adjustable JPEG quality
- Optionally creates multiple copies from a single image with different sizes to match display requirements: variable scaling, fixed minimum or maximum size or variable scaled size within a minimum or maximum size
Integrated Preview Creator:
- Creates WYSIWYG previews of articles and/or pages or even of the whole document (PDF) and automatically includes the image links in the extracted article text.
- Formats: JPEG, PDF
- Image smoothing function and adjustable quality
- Scalable sizes and border correction (add/cut)
WYSIWYG viewing features include:
- View extracted XML and HTML articles in browsers, including associated images and article/page views
- View and navigate extracted e-paper data in XSL enabled browsers
- BatchXport and XTend-Xport can be used to export QuarkXPress documents versions 7, 6, 5, 4 and 3 produced on a Macintosh or a Windows system
- Conversion of Internet and email addresses or any word list to active hyper-links
- Conversion of extracted content to any other content using the integrated string converter
- Text colours not visible in a browser, like white or any other bright colour, may be converted to any darker colour
Hardware: Macintosh Intel or PPC G4/G5 based computer system, 1 GB RAM.
Software: Mac OS X 10.4 and above, QuarkXPress or QuarkXPress Passport 7.2 or higher.
XTend-Xport and Batch Xport are available now through XChange International. To order, or for more information, users can visit the XChange website, or call on +44(0)20 7490 4455 during UK business hours.
XChange are a leading supplier of desktop graphic and publishing applications, QuarkXTension(R) technology; Adobe InDesign(R), Acrobat(R) and Photoshop(R) Plug-ins(R) and other design and publishing utilities. XChange offer extended technology products from across the world specific to the graphic design, print and publishing industries and make them available to an extensive user base via their printed catalogue or online at their web site. The company are headquartered in Central London and also offer specialist training on many of the solutions they sell.