August 8, 2010 in Entertainment (F)
[prMac.com] San Mateo, California - Entwine has announced Beauty Mirror 1.0 a new application for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Beauty Mirror helps young girls increase their self esteem and confidence. The interactive interface allows each girl to add her own photos and affirmations about how smart, pretty, kind, funny, talented, and beautiful she is.
Building self confidence is a critical activity for girls because their self image drastically changes as they approach their teens. A recent study by Dove found that 75 percent of girls aged 8 and 9 liked their looks, but that figure dropped to 56 percent among girls aged 12 and 13. The same study found that seven in ten teenage girls (71 percent) believe they are not good enough. In surveying adult women, the study found that only 2 percent of women describe themselves as "beautiful".
Beauty Mirror redefines beauty to encompass a range of attributes, including smarts, kindness, activities, giggles, and heritage. Beauty Mirror emphasizes that beauty is not a competition with the theme "I am beautiful & so are you." In Beauty Mirror, girls create Beauty Slides by taking photos of things they are proud of and combining them with their own positive message. Girls can also acknowledge the beauty in others by making and emailing positive mirror messages to their friends.
Parents can support their daughters' self esteem by creating Beauty Slides together. "Teaching girls to take pride in themselves is critical today and this application does it in a playful way that young people and parents will really enjoy," said Dr. Minette Riordan, certified coach for parents and Publisher of "North Texas Kids" magazine.
"This is a great app! Dads have such an opportunity to influence a daughter's self-confidence and esteem and this is a great way to do it. It's fun too!" commented Jason, a father with three daughters.
Beauty Mirror iPhone App Features:
* Ten Beauty Questions: "Who is going to be the Next Queen of England?"
* Ten Types of Beauty: Giggles, Smarts, Looks, Activities, Kindness, In the Future, Believing in You, Heritage, Including Others, Healthy & Strong
* Make up to 20 personalized Beauty Slides
* Add images of things that make you beautiful
* Send beauty slides to your friends
* Make beautiful mirrors with sweet and funny messages
* View your slides to feel beautiful every day
* Helps girls feel good about themselves
* Parents can makes Beauty Slides to surprise their daughter
* Great bonding activity when the family creates slides together
* Helps your daughter define her beauty before the fashion industry does
* iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
* Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later
* 1.3 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Beauty Mirror comes in two versions. In the free, Lite version, users can make up to five Beauty Slides. In the paid version, $1.99 USD, users can make up to 20 slides and can e-mail them. The applications are exclusively available at the iPhone app store.
Entwine is a privately held company founded by Isabel Rasmussen and Laura Wood in May of 2010 to create supportive apps for women and girls. Rasmussen is a Bay Area native, who received her undergraduate degree in Women Studies at UW and then went on to obtain a Green MBA at Dominican University. Laura Wood studied Software Engineering and Cognitive Science/AI at the University of Toronto, and is a professional programmer with a major animation studio. Copyright (C) 2010 Entwine. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.