February 23, 2008 in Software (E)
[prMac.com] IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Mainz, Germany - February 23, 2008 - Today, MacFamilyTree 5, the popular genealogy application for the Mac, leaps ahead with the arrival of the newest update: version 5.1 is released by Synium Software as fully functional Public Beta and can be downloaded as a free demo. This update enhances numerous aspects of MacFamilyTree's intuitive and flexible graphical user interface and brings Fan Charts, a Media Browser and has been substantially improved in media handling, diagramming and editing of genealogy data.
Finally, we made it: Fan Charts were among the most frequently demanded features - now here they are, fully configurable and easy to edit. Standard settings give you quick results, while you may still fit the Fan Charts to your needs with just a few clicks. This most recent update to version 5.1, MacFamilyTree 5 also gains a Media Browser that acts like a gallery where you can browse and access all pictures available in your family tree.
While we will expand this feature to all types of media soon, usability involving media in general has already been improved in all Edit Modes too. We also further enhanced MacFamilyTree 5's intuitive user interface, offering even quicker access to its wealth of functions to easily handle thousands of indiviuals and related genealogical information. MacFamilyTree 5.1 is fully compatible with Leopard, Apple's newest incarnation of Mac OS X.
New and enhanced features:
New - Media Browser
* centralized picture gallery to display essential information on media items (media title, person name, date of birth)
* gives give quick access to all pictures in the database
* the Media Browser also works as an entry point to rapidly edit individuals with linked media
New - Fan Chart
* fully editable as are all charts and reports in MacFamilyTree 5
* flexibly and interactively set the number of generations
* adjustable fan angle from 90° to 360°, cell size automatically increases to acommodate information for more distant generations too
* autocoloring of generations for quick results, colors and styles can be manually adjusted
* black&white mode for printer-friendly output included
Much improved graphical user interface (GUI)
* media can be browsed directly in the Persons, Families, Sources and Events Edit Mode
* direct access to Kekule numbering via main window
* improved Auto-Zoom and Fit-to-Screen for charts, improved list views
* many contextual menus added for quick-access of frequently used functions with your mouse (right mouse button/CTRL-click)
* GUI: many usability improvements including Drag'n'Drop support
* now also includes Spanish localization
* performance enhancements
* some minor issues fixed
* US English, Finnish, French, Italian, German and Spanish
* Many other language versions are due to be released as subsequent free updates
MacFamilyTree 5 requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or higher, a PPC Macintosh with 512 MByte RAM (1024 recommended), ATI Radeon 7500 or NVidia GeForce 4 MX graphics chipset or better and a minimum of 16 MByte video memory. All Macintosh computers with Intel processors and Intel's GMA 950 graphics chipset or better are supported. MacFamilyTree 5 is fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
Pricing and Availability:
MacFamilyTree 5 can be purchased for $49.00 USD. $25 USD upgrade. Demo is also available for download. Update from all previous versions of MacFamilyTree requires valid registration key from previous versions. For customers who purchased MacFamilyTree 4 on, or after August 14th, 2007 the upgrade to MacFamilyTree 5 is free. Registration codes will automatically work with MacFamilyTree 5.
Although this Public Beta of MacFamilyTree 5.1 has been submitted to heavy internal testing, crashes and even the loss of data cannot be completely ruled out. Version 5 should not be used in a live, or production environment, and users are advised to test at their own risk.
Synium Software GmbH is a software development and consulting company, based in Mainz (Mayence), Germany. Apart from being a successful publisher within the Mac software market, we offer a popular web-based news service at mactechnews.de for the German-speaking audience. All Material and Software (C) 2005-2007 Synium Software GmbH / All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, are registered trademarks of Apple Computer in the U.S. and/or other countries.