September 16, 2010 in Announcements (F)
[prMac.com] Elsternwick, Australia - AppleUsers.org are seeking 3 or 4 "Section Editors" to assist with the production of our digital format magazine, The AppleUsers Spotlight, which is published bi-monthly (every even-numbered month). Whilst we promote the Spotlight as a "30+ page" magazine, the average issue has been around 50+ pages.
We have a number of Australian contributors and we also gather a selection of some the best articles from around the globe for re-publication. As of the Aug 2010 issue, the actual page setting and design work is performed by Graphic Design students at the Commercial Arts Training College (CATC). The Section Editors will be responsible for:
Managing' at least one regular contributor/author:
* Liaising with them on suitable topics
* Ensuring they meet editorial deadlines
* Copy editing their work (proofing spelling and grammar and if needed, tagging/styling their documents to conform with our submission guidelines)
Copy Editing at least one 'Feature Length' article per issue:
* This will be either an 'original' contribution from one of our own writers OR a 'reprint' from another source
* You'll copy edit their work (proofing spelling and grammar and if needed, tagging/styling their documents to conform with our submission guidelines)
Compiling at least one regular column:
* Choice of: What's New - Mac; What's New - iPhone; What's New - iPad; and Take Control. We are flexible about how this handled - we can discuss the idea or Section Editors retaining the same column each issue, or we can switch them around each issue to give Section editors more variety
* You'll choose up to 3 different "Press Releases" from the supplied selection and then turn them into individual short articles (approx 300 words or half a page each) and provide at least one image file for each article (many press releases contain links to suitable images and logos)
In all cases, final material is to be uploaded to our Dropbox account, in a format ready for submission to the Design Team.
Your own Email Account - easily accessible (ie NOT once a week when you visit Aunt Maude type thing) - even a Gmail or Hotmail account is suitable. Ideally we'd like emails responded to within 24 hours, but no later than 48 hours, from original sending. A large percentage of the role will be handling email correspondence amongst the Editorial Team
* Ideally, you'll have an AIM/iChat account, and/or an MSN Instant Messenger account that we can use to communicate via text messages
* Fairly recent version of Microsoft Word (ideally for Mac, but Windows is acceptable) and/or Apple's Pages (part of the iWork suite)
* We use Dropbox for storing our 'working' files. This is best handled by installing the Dropbox application on your Mac or PC, but can also be accessed via a Web Interface.
You'll be expected to work from your "own" premises, with an internet connection. We anticipate that you'll spend less than an hour a day (or approx 5 hours a week) working on the Spotlight, with peak-pressure times around the last week of the odd-number months and the first week of the even-numbered months (ie just as we get ready for the design work on the 'current' issue and as we start preparing for the 'next' issue.
You'll report to our Editor-in-Chief (or in their absence, the Publisher) usually via email and occasionally Instant Messaging (text chats using iChat/AIM or MSN perferred, but we can also do Skype)
You'll work closely with 'your' contributors via email and occasionally IM. You'll also have contact with our Founder & Publisher, and our Vendor Relations Manager (who arranges samples and demo product for contributors to write reviews and our advertising)
More information about what AppleUsers.org does, and specific information about the Spotlight, including back issues, can be found on our website.
Unfortunately, we can't offer a wage for any of these positions, but we do offer the opportunity to get your name out there and to hone your skills. If you are interested in volunteering for a "Section Editor" position, please contact us using our Contact Form, making sure you select "Job Vacancies" as the person you wish to contact, and ensure that the subject includes "Spotlight Section Editor".
AppleUsers.org is a volunteer organization that acts as a central location for the Committees, Editors, Web Masters and other Leaders of Australian Apple User Groups to find useful resources. We represent nearly thirty active Apple Users Groups, based all around Australia, with a combined membership in excess of five thousand Apple Enthusiasts and Users. AppleUsers publishes a 30 page, digital format magazine, every second month for all Apple enthusiasts and eleven times a year we compile a unique Disc of the Month for distribution via participating Australian Apple User Groups. The AppleUsers Spotlight is written and produced by Apple Users for Apple Users and we select the best articles from our own Australian contributors and from the best international sources.