April 22, 2008 in Software (E)
[prMac.com] Vienna, Austria - Dare to be Creative today announced the release of iArchiver 1.3, an archiving and file compression/decompression utility for Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard.
iArchiver is a utility application that creates, opens and converts archives using drag and drop. With iArchiver, users can archive and backup their files in popular formats such as 7zip, Zip and Gzip. In addition, iArchiver opens and converts a broad spectrum of file formats including Rar, StuffIt, DMG, Zip and 7zip. The new version strives to improve usability with a fresh look, allows password-secured backup and storage of archives, and adds to the list of supported file formats.
A fresh look:
In addition to inspecting the contents of archive files, iArchiver provides users the ability to extract archive files via the dock or Finder toolbar. Today's release sees iArchiver dressed in new icon, designed to blend closer into the Mac dock and Finder toolbar.
Archive encryption and decryption:
To securely backup and archive files, the new version allows users to password-protect their archives. The password prevents unauthorized access to the files in the archive by way of strong encryption. Users can unlock the archives again by supplying the password in iArchiver.
More supported file formats:
Also new in this version is the support for additional file formats: iArchiver 1.3 can now open Cabinet (.cab) and ARJ (.arj) files. This adds to the growing list of supported popular formats such as Rar, Zip, 7zip, DMG and StuffIt, as well as some of the less widespread formats such as BinHex (.hqx), LhA and ACE.
* Create Zip, 7zip (.7z), DMG, Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, Z, and CPIO files
* Extract Rar, 7zip (.7z), Zip, DMG, StuffIt (.sit), BinHex (.hqx), MacBinary (.bin), Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, Z, CPIO, ARJ, RPM, PAX, LhA (.lha, .lzh), ADF, Cabinet (.cab), ARJ and ACE files
* Convert between the above archive formats for example from Rar to Zip or from StuffIt to 7zip
* Quick drag-and-drop extract via the dock and Finder toolbar
* Encrypt and decrypt Zip and 7zip archives
* In-place extract to emulate the built-in Mac OS X behavior
* Option to ignore Mac-specific files for added compatibility when sharing archives with Windows and Linux users
* Mac OS X Version 10.4 or higher
* Universal Binary for PowerPC and Intel
Pricing and Availability:
iArchiver is $26 USD, and available as a free download from the iArchiver website. It runs initially in a 15-day trial mode with all features active. This is a free update for registered iArchiver users.
Located in Vienna, Austria, Dare to be Creative Ltd. is a software forgery founded in 2006 by a group of Mac enthusiasts. The Dare to be Creative team focuses exclusively on developing utility applications for Mac OS X designed to save valuable time while being enjoyable and easy to use. The current portfolio includes a) iArchiver, an archiving and file compression utility, b) iCombiner, a tool to combine images and PDF files into single PDF documents, and c) Renamer4Mac, a batch file renamer. All Material and Software (C) 2006-2008 Dare to be Creative Ltd. / All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, the iPod logo, are registered trademarks of Apple Computer in the U.S. and/or other countries.