December 2, 2010 in Education (E)
[prMac.com] Los Angeles, California - 24x7digital LLC today is happy to announce the release of Smiley Sight Words 1.4, an educational flash-card app for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Smiley Sight Words is a comprehensive flash-card learning tool containing over 1,500 high-frequency sight words, compiled from a variety of sources including Dolch, Fry, Pinnell-Fountas, and UK word lists. Flash-cards respond to taps, swipes, and shakes - students may tap the displayed sight word to hear professionally recorded American-English pronunciations; swipe flash-cards to navigate the stack of words; and shake their iPhone to shuffle the flash-cards.
The 1,500 sight words included with Smiley Sight Words comprises up to 85% of the text in a child's early reading materials. A child who can recognize just 8 of 10 words in a sentence can typically understand its meaning! "Sight words" often cannot be illustrated via simple pictures or sounded out according to regular phonetic decoding rules, thus they need to be learned and recognized "on sight". Smiley Sight Words is a handy way to keep track of and encourage a child's mastery of their sight words.
* Over 1,500 common sight words
* Choose from over 80 pre-defined word lists or create your own custom set
* Tap a card to hear the word spoken
* Mark flash cards with smileys based on right or wrong answers
* View history results for each card
* Easily switch between cards by swiping, tapping or shaking
* Beautifully recorded American-English pronunciations for all words
* Show and Hide individual words
* Customizable settings for up to 5 players
* Share word sets between players
* Export word lists via Email
* Player names and photos can be customized
* Progress Report can be saved to Photo Library
* In-app Help documentation
* Copy and Paste words
* Optimized for iOS 4
The fun-to-use smiley rating system allows a parent or teacher to rate a student's mastery of each word. Students are encouraged to earn 3 thumbs-up smileys for each word, and may view their progress report at any time. Students advance to higher levels after learning the words in the current stack.
Rating System Levels:
* Top 1000 - 40 levels sorted by frequency
* Dolch 300 - 7 levels (pre-primer, primer, grade 1-3, nouns 1-2)
* Dolch 300 - 11 levels sorted by frequency
* Fry 1000 - 10 levels sorted by frequency
* UK 1000 - 10 levels sorted by frequency
* More Words - Upper and lower-case alphabet, numbers 0-100, colors, shapes, animals, months, days of week, family
* Words organized by number of letters
* 5 Customizable Flash Card sets
* 5 Customizable Shared Flash Card sets
* iPhone and iPod touch
* Requires iOS 3.0 or later
* Compatible with iOS 4 or later
* 22.8 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Smiley Sight Words 1.4 for iPhone is only $0.99 (USD) and available exclusively through Apple's App Store in the Education category.
Based in Los Angeles, California, 24x7digital LLC is a privately funded company founded in 2002 by Rei Yoshioka and Mark Yamashita. Leveraging their longtime experience in development and consulting, 24x7digital's focus is developing high-quality, simple, and easy-to-use apps for the Mac OS and iPhone iOS platforms. Copyright 2002-2010 24x7digital LLC. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Computer in the U.S. and/or other countries.