December 8, 2010 in iOS Development (E)
[prMac.com] Palo Alto, California - Ansca Mobile today released a new version of Corona(TM) SDK, its Mac-based industry standard mobile development platform. With Corona(TM) SDK, developers can write code once and build apps and games for both iOS (iPhone, iPod touch and iPad) and Android at the touch of a button.
In addition, Ansca merged all features of its Corona(TM): Game Edition product into the core Corona(TM) SDK product, with the latter now boasting all features and serving as the single product SKU offered by the Company.
With the slew of new features, Corona(TM) SDK, is cemented further as the most capable mobile development platform in the market, allowing users to build cross-platform apps quickly and easily without sacrificing performance. The new features include:
* New Audio API: The new Corona(TM) SDK audio engine is built on the industry standard OpenAL - designed for low-latency, high performance mixing and supporting 32 audio channels.
* New Facebook API: Corona(TM) SDK now integrates the latest version of the native Facebook library (currently iOS-only). In addition to supporting more features, the Corona(TM) API is considerably simplified.
* New MapView API: The long-awaited MapView feature lets developers integrate one or more Google Map views into apps, and supports various methods of two-way communication between the map contents and the surrounding application: address or landmark lookup, pin marking, and reverse geocoding (converting latitude/longitude into the closest street address), among others.
* Larger Texture Support: Textures are now supported for resolutions up to 2048x2048. This is hardware-dependent, and primarily for the iPad and iPhone 4. Most other devices are limited to 1024x1024.
* Unlimited Free Trial: Previously, the Corona(TM) SDK trial only lasted 30 days. With this release, users can now try it out for as long as they like, building apps to their own personal devices free of charge. Users will only have to pay for a subscription when they decide to build an app for the Apple App Store or the Android Market.
Other important new features include Sprite API improvements, a new Analytics API, Samsung Galaxy Tab support and a large set of API tuneups and performance enhancements. A full list can be viewed at the Ansca Mobile site. Corona(TM) SDK is available now for $349/year, and can be downloaded directly from Ansca Mobile.
Ansca, Inc. is a venture-backed Palo Alto, CA-based mobile development company founded by two former Adobe mobile engineers who previously led the Adobe Flash Lite engineering team. Their Corona(TM) SDK software development kit empowers developers of all backgrounds to create graphically rich games and applications for Apple's iOS and Google's Android mobile platforms. Copyright (C) 2010 Ansca, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.