January 4, 2011 in Health and Fitness (E)
[prMac.com] Revere, Massachusetts - Independent developer James Hollender today is pleased to announce the release of his iSatFat app for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. The iSatFat app allows users to easily find out the saturated fat content in over 1,100 different food servings, helpful information for those who must limit their saturated fat intake, e.g., those who have heart conditions, etc. This app is the 8th in a series based on the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. The others include:
* Vitamin K - for those taking blood thinning medications like Coumadin or Warfarin
* iCarbs - for bodybuilders and also diabetics
* iProteins - for bodybuilders, vegetarians & vegans
* iCals - for anyone wanting to know the number of calories in food servings
* iSugars - easily identify the amount of sugars in food servings
* iFiber - for those wanting to get enough fiber in their diet
* iCholesterol - easily identify food servings cholesterol content
The iSatFat app provides information about food servings and how they are rated for saturated fat content. This is provided as a means to assist in deciding which foods to eat. Many people with heart conditions have been instructed by their doctors to limit their intake of saturated fat to a specific level each day. The food servings in iSatFat are rated from EXTREMELY LOW to EXTREMELY HIGH in Saturated Fat content. The following colors help readily identify which is which:
* Black = Rated EXTREMELY HIGH in Saturated Fat (10.001 - 33.000 g)
* Dark Red = Rated VERY HIGH in Saturated Fat (5.001 - 10.000 g)
* Red = Rated HIGH in Saturated Fat (3.001 - 5.000 g)
* Orange = Rated MODERATELY HIGH in Saturated Fat (1.001 - 3.000 g)
* Yellow = Rated MODERATE in Saturated Fat (0.501 - 1.000 g)
* Light Green = Rated MODERATELY LOW in Saturated Fat (0.101 - 0.500 g)
* Green = Rated LOW in Saturated Fat (0.011 - 0.100 g)
* CYAN = Rated VERY LOW in Saturated Fat (0.001 - 0.010 g)
* WHITE = Rated EXTREMELY LOW in Saturated Fat (0.000 g)
There are eight tables listing foods:
* All Foods
* Fast Foods
* Fruits and Vegetables
* Meat, Fish and Shellfish
* Dairy and Egg
* Cereal Grains and Pasta
Selecting a food in any of the tables will display pertinent information about the selected food serving:
* Food Title
* Weight (in grams)
* Common Measure (serving size for weight)
* Saturated Fat Content (in grams)
* Percentage of Saturated Fat by Weight (if at least 1%)
* USDA Description
* USDA Food Group
* USDA Nutrient Database Number
Information is derived from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference: Fatty Acids, Total Saturated Content of Selected Foods per Common Measure. There are currently over 1,100 different food servings included, searchable using more than 2,500 names (some foods are know by different names or how thye are prepared, e.g., "Egg, Scrambled" and "Scrambled Egg"). Some have as many as six searchable names.
The Info page provides additional information about Saturated Fat:
"What is Saturated Fat?" - Describes what saturated fat is and where it comes from.
"Why Avoid Saturated Fat?" - Provides some information concerning saturated fat, with some surprising facts you might not be aware of.
"Highest Saturated Fat Foods" - Lists 27 food servings containing the highest amount of saturated fat.
"How to Use this App" - Provides information on how to more fully understand the information presented.
"About this App" - Identifies the developer and allows the user to report problems, ask questions and make suggestions.
* iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
* Requires iOS 3.0 or later (iOS 4.0 Tested)
* 4.5 MB
Pricing and Availability:
iSatFat 1.6 is available in the iTunes App Store for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The current price is $1.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and can be found in the Health & Fitness category. Promo codes are available for qualified reviewers. Please specify the website, blog or organization when making a request.
James Hollender, a well seasoned Information Technology professional, has been familiar with Apple products since the days of the first Macintosh computer and has been involved with object oriented programming since the introduction of Java, culminating most recently writing apps in Objective C for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. His innovative ideas have resulted in numerous suggestion and other awards including a commendation from The President of the United States. His EZeeCalc App (a simple, yet powerful, calculator for the rest of us) is an example of his creative ability to think outside the box ... rated 9/10 by The iPhone App Review. Copyright (C) 2010 James Hollender. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.