March 8, 2011 in Utility (E)
[prMac.com] Kiev, Ukraine - The DaisyDisk Team today is proud to announce the release and final version of DaisyDisk 2.0, a major update to their award-winning hard disk visualization utility for Mac OS X. The version 2.0 features drag-and-drop file deletion, ability to scan several disks/folders at a time, brand new user interface based on Core Animation, FileVault support, and many other enhancements. The application is now available also in the Mac App Store.
"Deleting files from the application was an obvious need, and we have built a handy and safe user experience for this task" stated Co-Founder Oleg Krupnov. "We have also completely redesigned the rest of UI, which allowed more efficient ways of working with DaisyDisk, such as scanning many sources at a time, switching between scanned reports, and other things. The use of Core Animation has made the entire application feel faster and more powerful."
DaisyDisk represents disk content as an interactive color-coded sunburst map, quickly revealing large files which may no longer be needed. The map can be easily navigated to preview deeper levels of data. Unlike the rectangular "tree map" disk visualization technique used in other products, DaisyDisk's sunburst map displays information in a more elegant and natural way that suits both power users and people not very familiar with the Mac OS X file system.
When the application is launched an overview of all mounted disks is displayed, with graphical indicators of how full each is. DaisyDisk supports all kinds of disks. Choosing the Scan button next to any displayed disk begins the scanning procedure, which has been highly optimized, and according to DaisyDisk Team outperforms competitors by 10-50%. Multiple disks can be scanned simultaneously.
The resultant circular sunburst map consists of color-coded, concentric rings. Mousing over ring segments lists the category of files and folders and their total size (e.g. Movies, 85.3 GB). Clicking any segment expands it into a full sunburst map revealing greater detail. The process can be repeated until the user has reached the level where individual files are listed. The built-in QuickLook preview of file content helps decide if a particular file can be deleted. Next, segments can be dragged out of the map and dropped into the intermediate "collector" for further checkout and deletion. While the files stay in the collector, the user can undo deletion of a particular file by dragging it out. On each action, the map is updated instantly to reflect the changes. When ready, all collected files are deleted with a single click.
* Visualizes disk contents in a way that reveals large files
* Innovative infographics - animated, interactive, color-coded, sunburst map
* Built-in QuickLook preview of files content
* Drag-and-drop file deletion with visual feedback
* Intermediate "collector" for the files selected for deletion that allows to check out and undo file deletion
* Robustly deletes all specified files and folders, automatically switching to the Administrator mode when necessary
* Supports all kinds of disks, displays informative overview of all mounted disks
* Allows scanning particular folders on disks
* Highly optimized code performs scanning/mapping faster than most other apps
* Can scan multiple disks simultaneously and switch between maps of different disks
* In Administrator mode can scan all folders overriding their permissions
* FileVault support
* Supports multi-touch gestures for map navigation (refer to the manual for the complete list)
* Animated progress indication in the Dock icon, Growl notifications on completion
* Runs as 64-bit application on Snow Leopard
* Free trial version available for download
* Available in the Mac App Store
Apple has recognized DaisyDisk as a Staff Favorite, Macworld UK granted DaisyDisk five stars and "Editors' Choice" award, DaisyDisk has also received an About Reader's Choice Award 2010 in the System Utility category, it was also nominated in the Ars Technica's Reader's Choice poll for 2010 Ars Design Awards Mac OS X in the Best Mac OS X User Experience category. In addition to other awards, the app has received consistent praise in more than 150 print and online reviews, published in a variety of languages.
* Mac with OS X 10.5 or later
* Application size 10.3 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Free DaisyDisk 2.0 trial is available online. The application can be purchased for $19.95 (USD) on the developers' site or in the Mac App Store. Existing DaisyDisk customers can upgrade for $9.95. Free upgrades are available to early supporters and recent purchasers (refer to the website for more detail). NFR licenses are available on request.
DaisyDisk Team is an independent software development startup, founded in 2009 by Taras Brizitsky of Sarov, Russia, and Oleg Krupnov of Kiev, Ukraine. Although various disk scanning applications were available free, the pair were motivated to create DaisyDisk for their personal use, and to explore the use of graphical representation of data and user interface design. Copyright (C) 2008-2011 DaisyDisk. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, and Mac OS X are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.