The Funnies 1.5 Brings Over 400 Comics To iPad And iPhone
March 18, 2011 in Entertainment
[prMac.com] Toronto, Canada - AFK Studio has announced the release of a major update to its popular iOS app for reading, organizing and sharing a collection of over 400 comic strips, "The Funnies."
The Funnies 1.5 is more than just an update, it's a true reboot. It introduces a number of performance improvements over its predecessor and is now a Universal application that can run on the iPad, iPad 2, iPhone or iPod touch, the latter two using a completely separate user interface that was designed from the ground up specifically for Apple's handsets. iPhone 4 users can also enjoy Retina display-compatible graphics.
In addition to the new interface, The Funnies 1.5 includes a new technology called "Smart View" that uses sophisticated heuristics to dynamically determine the best possible display size for a comic, resulting in a perfect reading experience every time.
Other innovations include:
* A preview mode lets the user view comics before adding them to your favorites
* A new switch that causes the app to only display new comics
* Support for a variety of new gestures
* Improved performance
* Numerous stability enhancements
All this comes together with The Funnies's other features, which include:
* A beautiful, organic interface inspired by the warm tones of wood and leather, and designed to make the user feel like they are manipulating the comics directly
* A database of over 400 comic strips and editorial cartoons from all over the web that is automatically updated from the Internet without requiring updates to the app itself
* The ability to create a "virtual billboard" of the all the user's favourite comics, which are updated automatically as new strips are released
* The ability to read all the favourites through a continuous, scroll-based interface that allows for zooming in and out and supports a variety of gestures
* A unique "film-strip" interface for quickly jumping from one favourite comic to another
* Support for saving a comic strip to the iPad's photo album, or sharing through email, Facebook or Twitter, with a visually stunning interface inspired by Apple's own iOS folders
* The ability to visit a comic strip's website
* iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
* Requires iPhone OS 4.0.1 or later
* 19.0 MB
Pricing and Availability:
The Funnies 1.5 is $4.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Entertainment category. With the new version of The Funnies, AFK Studio is also releasing The Funnies Xpress, a free version of the app that includes 50 selected comics.
Based in Toronto, Canada, AFK Studio hand-crafts apps for iOS under the principle that good software starts from a great user experience. Copyright (C) 2011 AFK Studio. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.