April 19, 2011 in Productivity (E)
[prMac.com] Rome, Italy - Independent team ice cream studios today is pleased to announce Writings 1.2 for iPad, an update to their app that allows the user to compose or edit plain text on a customizable screen free of all distracting icons and buttons. The user can fully customize the writing environment by selecting the most comfortable text font, size, page width, and colors (including reverse color scheme). Writings supports TextExpander and provides easy access to punctuation keys, character/word/line count, and Dropbox synchronization. The app enhances the standard iPad text input controls by allowing the user to move the text cursor through a simple tap on the page left or right margin.
There are three features that make the latest update of Writings particularly noteworthy. First, the user can now create workspaces, a unique and intuitive way to group documents by context. Each workspace can be synchronized with a different Dropbox folder, even on a different Dropbox account, so that the user is given with an extraordinary amount of flexibility to organize the various groups of documents.
Second, the user can speed up his writing by enabling, above the standard keyboard, an additional row of keys with the most common punctuation characters. The additional keyboard also include a tab key that can be used to indent the first line of a paragraph.
Third, the Dropbox synchronization has been enhanced by adding a quicker way to sync the edited document, and by providing a better integration with other writing tools and apps, such as Scrivener on Mac.
* Plain text editor for iPad, particularly suitable for long writing sessions
* Tap on the left or right page margin area to quickly move the text cursor
* Real-time character/word/line count - may be hidden or visible while writing
* If some text is selected, the character/word/line count refers to the selection
* Optional extra row of keys above the standard keyboard provides quick access to the most common punctuation characters
* Choose the font, size, and text/background colors most comfortable for writing
* Adjust the text width
* Quickly show or hide the document title when writing
* All controls fade out when writing, providing a distraction-free interface - one tap outside of the keyboard restores controls
* TextExpander support
* Browse all writings through a stunning interface
* Easily browse among a great number of documents using the documents list
* Store and retrieve documents online through a Dropbox account (free, if user has none)
* Group documents according to their context by creating workspaces
* Each workspace can be synchronized with a different Dropbox folder, even belonging to different Dropbox accounts
* For each workspace, it is possible to set the full path of the Dropbox folder to synchronize with
* Send texts as email messages or attachments
* Access documents through iTunes file sharing
* Supports "Open in..." from Mail and other apps
* Remembers where text input left off in any document
* When reading, text size can be quickly adjusted with a pinch gesture
* Stores text files in UTF-8 .txt format
"We have striven to make our plain text editor simple, elegant, and utilitarian," stated company Co-Developer, Ludovico Rossi. "The iPad is a wonderful device for writing, and we have sought to use its capabilities to their utmost, without introducing anything that might adversely affect the frictionless flow of ideas into writing."
* US English and Italian
* Compatible with iPad
* iOS 3.2 or later (iOS 4.3 tested)
* 15.6 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Writings 1.2 is $4.99 (USD) and available worldwide through the App Store in the Productivity category. Review copies are available upon request.
Located in beautiful Rome, Italy, ice cream studios is a small independent team founded by Ludovico Rossi and Vito Modena. With their strong blend of design and development skills, ice cream studios' mission is to craft elegant, easy-to-use applications for the iOS platform. Copyright (C) 2011 ice cream studios s.r.l. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod, and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.