April 20, 2011 in Games (E)
[prMac.com] Austin, Texas - Peninsula Gameworks announces an update to Spectre 3D for iOS. Spectre 3D is the retro re-make of the first-ever network multiplayer game Spectre. This updated Universal version features support for: iPad, Retina display, plus 25 Game Center Achievements and 5 Leaderboards.
The original version of Spectre, introduced in 1990 and published in 1991, was the first-ever network-enabled, multi-player LAN game. Spectre was originally available on the Macintosh, and later on the PC and Super Nintendo gaming system. Selling over 500,000 copies, it still enjoys the reputation as being one of the most addictive multi-player arcade-style games.
This Spectre 3D update, developed by Brilliant-Bytes Software, also features a new "Arcade" game, a frenetic challenge to de-rez as many Cyberbot tanks as possible in 90 seconds. iPad optimized controls, new sky-box background art and refined game play balance are also been added in this 1.2.1 update.
Spectre 3D faithfully re-creates the original classic's addictive gameplay, with even more colorful graphics and widely recognized sounds, plus support for Bluetooth (up to 4 players) and Internet/WiFi (the only iOS game offering 16 player 3D arcade action).
Spectre 3D also offers always available online dedicated game servers where artificially intelligent CyberBots dynamically populate online cyber arenas where they await the player's entry into their cyber battle domain.
Online multi-player games include: Arena, Capture the Flag, Flag Rally and the new and challenging Base Raid. Multiplayer game access is quick and easy, allowing players to join ongoing games or host their own customized online games from their iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.
Single-player modes include Spectre Classic, Spectre VR, and the new Arcade game. These games are faithful to the original classic version and include more levels, enemies, obstacles and a variety of selectable weapons.
And to further extend the tradition of gaming breakthroughs, Spectre 3D offers an option for 3D stereoscopic anaglyph gameplay, which requires simple red/cyan 3D glasses (not included).
Spectre 3D is the first-ever full motion, 16 multi-player online, stereo-3D arcade action game!
Single player game modes included:
* Spectre Classic (50 total levels)
* Spectre VR (73 total levels)
* New! Arcade mode (time challenge frenzy!)
* Game Center features 25 Achievements and 5 Leaderboards
Multi-player game types included:
* Capture the Flag
* Flag Rally
* Base Raid
* View the number of Players Online anytime in the Multi-player menu
* iPad Universal app
* Retina display support
* Game Center leaderboards and over 25 achievements
* All-new addictive Arcade mode
* Up to 4 players over Bluetooth
* Up to 16 players via Internet or WiFi
* Control your cybertank with a resizable virtual joypad
* Weapons, shield and flight energy power-ups
* Totally customizable online game options and weapons configurations
* Host human versus Cyberbot online team battles
* Incredibly challenging Base Raid multiplayer game
* Defensive tactics include hyperspace teleporting and vertical jump-strafing
* Spectre is the first-ever online, multi-player, stereo-3D game
Note to parents: Spectre is kid-friendly by design, offering fast-paced, shoot-em-up action without graphic language, content or violence.
* iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
* Requires iPhone OS 3.1.2 or later
* 9.9 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Spectre 3D v1.2.3 is only $0.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Games category. Spectre 3D Lite version 1.2.3 is available for free.
Peninsula Gameworks originally developed Spectre for the Macintosh in 1990, and it was published from 1991 to 1995 for Macs, PCs and SNES platforms. In 2010 Peninsula Gameworks licensed development and publishing rights to Canadian indie Brilliant Bytes Software, who re-engineered and developed a completely and totally new version of Spectre for the iPhone OS. Copyright (C) 1990-2011 Peninsula Gameworks. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.