May 13, 2011 in Photo and Video (E)
[prMac.com] Sammamish, Washington - Today, Juicy Bits released version 1.5 of their popular Halftone photography app for iPhone and iPod touch. With over 300,000 users in only 3 months and an average rating of 4.7 (out of 5), Halftone is a fun way to add aged printing and comic-style effects to photos to give them a unique, vintage look. Including over 20 paper styles, nine layouts, two caption formats, six different speech ballon shapes, over 20 stamps, and three licensed fonts, photos can be customized, then saved to the photo album, sent via e-mail, shared with friends on Facebook and Twitter, and printed.
Most of the features in version 1.5 were driven by direct user feedback, and a completely new halftone rendering engine provides even more power and flexibilty for future updates.
The new Stamp feature makes it easy to add graphic elements to the page, including sounds effects like BLAM!, Arrrggh!, Sploosh, and more. Other stamp shapes include a bar code, a comic-style heart, a star, a space helmet, and a variety of motion paths and impacts. Each stamp can be placed, rotated, and resized, and some stamp shapes can be customized with built-in color palettes and gradients.
Two new licensed fonts (Alter Ego and Billy the Flying Robot) include user-requested international characters. Each of the new fonts has a unique flavor that offers even more variety when customizing a Halftone image.
For halftone geeks, the dot size setting can now be reduced. In prior versions, the setting could only be enlarged. This ability, in combination with the new dot gain setting, allows more realistic halftone-style output.
Other new features include the choice of Twitter image upload services: yfrog and TwitPic. The shape of the "pucker" (pointy) speech balloon has been improved, and helpful information screens have beed added to assist first-time users. A reset button was also added to make it easy to revert to default settings.
* 21 paper styles, from crisp and clean to distressed and aged
* Two different caption styles, including one with a large initial character and a gradient background
* Six speech balloon styles
* 21 stamps (BLAM!, Arrrggh!, etc.) with customizable colors
* Nine unique layouts, including layouts without any captions or borders
* Three licensed fonts: Digital Strip, Alter Ego, and Billy the Flying Robot
* Support for front-facing camera, flash modes, camera zoom, and tap to focus
* Final Halftone images can be saved to the photo album, sent via e-mail, shared directly with friends on Facebook and Twitter, and printed
* Choice of Twitter image upload services: yfrog and TwitPic
* iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
* Requires iOS 3.2 or later (iOS 4.0 Tested)
* 12.9 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Halftone 1.5 is only $0.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Photography category.
Founded in 2009, Juicy Bits is a small company that produces unique, freshly squeezed software for mobile devices. Their first release, 3D Camera, earned 4.5 mice (out of 5) from Macworld and is frequently among the top 100 photography apps worldwide. Nature Images and Nature Images HD feature photos that have been downloaded over 3 million times and are included in major operating systems. Most Juicy Bits apps have been selected and highlighted by Apple at some point in their history. Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Juicy Bits. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.