June 2, 2011 in Games (E)
[prMac.com] Huntington Beach, California - Technicat, LLC has updated the critically acclaimed 3D fantasy bowling game HyperBowl for iPhone and iPad with support and extra content for the high-performance iPad2. This latest update takes advantage of the newest features from the Unity game engine to provide improved performance and graphics, and also exploits Unity's cross-platform support to introduce the first ever implementation of HyperBowl on Android devices.
HyperBowl on iOS and Android is the result of a two-and-a-half year partnership between Technicat, LLC and Hyper Entertainment, Plc., the developer and intellectual property owner of the original HyperBowl arcade and attraction game, which debuted in the Sony Metreon in 1999. HyperBowl is still available in arcade and attraction venues such as Dave and Buster's. The attraction game features a tall projection screen, 3D fantasy bowling lanes, and a real bowling ball acting as the controller.
The mobile version of HyperBowl features:
* All six of the original HyperBowl lanes, Classic, Rome, Forest, High Seas, San Francisco and Tokyo. (non-HD devices will run the first four lanes)
* Art and sound from the original game.
* Full-screen native resolution on all devices, including Retina displays, iPads, and Android tablets.
* Extra visuals on the iPad2.
* Unique touch screen swiping controls that emulate the original bowling ball control
* Play up to four-person multiplayer in the original arcade mode
* Integration with Apple's Game Center for leaderboards and achievements
* Single universal binary supports all Apple devices running iOS 4.1 or greater
* Free ad-supported version on the Android Market
* Pro ad-free version on the Android Market, featuring OpenFeint integration for leaderboards and achievements.
HyperBowl on the iPhone and iPad is implemented with the popular Unity game engine but retains the art and audio assets from the HyperBowl attraction and stays faithful to the look and feel of the original game, as attested to by reviewers:
MacLife (in their list of the 100 Greatest iPhone Apps of 2009) - "Sure, there are a lot of bowling games for the iPhone, but none of them match the legacy that HyperBowl has. The gameplay feels organic, with its beautiful outdoor themed bowling lanes."
SlapApp - "HyperBowl definitely portrays a retro arcade feel that's consistent with the original, and offers a uniquely different game-play that other traditional bowling apps simply do not offer."
Slide Gamer - "If you're a fan of the original HyperBowl then there's no doubt that you'll love this portable version."
* iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
* Requires iPhone OS 4.2 or later
* 33.1 MB
Pricing and Availability:
HyperBowl 2.4 is $2.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide through the App Store in the Games category. HyberBowl is also available from the Android Market.
Technicat, LLC provides software development and consulting services. Past projects include video games, virtual worlds, and 3D content creation packages. Technicat develops and publishes games under the Fugu Games label. Technicat is owned and operated by Phil Chu, a member of the original HyperBowl development team. Copyright (C) 2011 Technicat, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.