Stairways Software releases Keyboard Maestro 5.0
July 14, 2011 in Software
[prMac.com] Perth, Australia - Stairways Software Pty Ltd today is pleased to announce Keyboard Maestro 5.0, the new version of its powerful productivity enhancer for Mac OS X. Version 5 takes the modern engine of Keyboard Maestro 3, the modern user interface of Keyboard Maestro 4 and adds to that base an incredible breadth and depth of power with almost no increase in complexity.
Keyboard Maestro 5 adds control flow such as While loops and If/Then/Else statements, as well as permanently stored variables and a complete calculation engine, all within the same familiar user interface.
Keyboard Maestro enhances the application switcher and window switcher, and includes the application launcher first featured in Switcher Maestro. The clipboard history is improved further with the addition of Favorites, Quick Look and the ability to send clipboards to another Mac.
Version 5 also includes an extensible library of pre-made macros, with a large variety of macros for you to build upon. Also new is Undo/Redo support and revisions so you can try out new macros with confidence.
Using Keyboard Maestro's powerful macros, you can control applications, windows, or menus; insert text; open documents, applications or URLs; execute scripts; control the system, iTunes or QuickTime Player; and more - all with the touch of a key, click of the mouse, periodically or at specific times, when an application is launched or running, or even over the Internet using Keyboard Maestro Control on your iPhone or iPod touch, or by using a web browser to access Keyboard Maestro's built-in web server.
Using Keyboard Maestro's Program Switcher and Window Switcher you can cycle through applications or windows, closing, hiding, launching, and more. Keyboard Maestro can help you regain control of your crowded screen by letting you close or hide multiple windows or applications.
Using Keyboard Maestro's Application Switcher and Window Switcher you can cycle through applications or windows, closing, hiding, launching, and more. Using Keyboard Maestro's Application Launcher, you can quickly launch applications. Keyboard Maestro can help you regain control of your crowded screen by letting you close or hide multiple windows or applications.
Using Keyboard Maestro's Clipboard History Switcher, you can access previous clipboards, so you will never lose your clipboard again. It also makes it easy to copy and paste multiple items such as username and password or serial number without having to switch back and forth between applications for each item. You can mark a clipboard as a favorite so it stays forever, or send it to another Mac running Keyboard Maestro.
Using Keyboard Maestro's Clipboard Switcher, you can select from a number of named clipboards, storing information away for later retrieval, or store the details you are working on and access them by name again and again.
Major Changes for 5.0:
* Requires 10.6 and Intel
* Control Flow - Pause Until, If/Then/Else, While, Until, Repeat with extensive conditional tests
* Variables - permanently stored and accessible in a variety of ways
* Calculations - based on variables or a variety of functions
* Library of pre-built macros
* Undo/Redo - finally
* Enhanced Application Switcher with Cover Flow, Force Quit, Get Info, Reveal
* Enhanced Window Switcher with Cover Flow of Applications, window depth sorting
* Enhanced Clipboard History with Favorites, Quick Look, Send clipboards to another Mac
* Application Launcher as first seen in Switcher Maestro
Control Flow & Variables & Calculations:
* New Control Flow actions Pause Until, If/Then/Else, While, Until, Repeat
* Extensive conditional tests (Application, Window, Menu, Button, Modifiers, and many more)
* Permanently stored variables containing text, or arrays of numbers
* Prompt For User Input action with text, passwords, popup menus and checkboxes
* Most action fields can contain calculations (eg Pause 60*Time in Minutes)
* Set Variable to Text action with tokens
* Set Variable to Calculation action with array access
* Search & Replace Variable action with regex and tokens
* Use Variable action to adjust mouse, windows, applications, and more
* Filter Variable action.
* Added Quick Look to Clipboard History and Named Clipboard Switchers
* Added Favorites to Clipboard History
* Send clipboards to other Macs
* Delete Past Clipboard action
* Search & Replace Clipboard action with regex and tokens
* Favorites category in action list
* Configurable timeouts for individual actions
* Macro Revisions
* Applications listed in Status Menu
* Use regular expressions in menu or button name matching by prefixing with ^
* Typed String triggers can ignore case, or remember case
* Insert Text actions honour case of remember case typed string triggers
* Allow triggering on "any" application activates, launches or quits
New and Improved Actions:
* Set Macro Enable action
* Speak Text action
* Play Sound action
* Action to display text
* Action to Show/Hide the global macros palette action
* Manipulate window action can now operate on window with index N
* Manipulate window action can now center a window at any point
* Generalized Search Web action to allow any URL
* Add Relaunch & Force Quit options to Quit action
* Added "Current Application" option to Quit action
* Open Finder Selection action optionally with a specific application
* Add "with specific application" to Open File or Folder action
* Add "with specific application" to Open URL action
* Growl action uses our own HUD window if Growl is not available
New Text Tokens:
* Token for variables
* Token for Named Clipboards
* Tokens for Current Track name, album, artist, ratingstars, etc.
* Tokens for Current Application, Current Mouse, and Front Window details
* Tokens for Screen Frame and System Volume
* Tokens for Address Book Name, Email, etc.
* Tokens for Executing Macro and Macro Group name
* Variables can be accessed or written via AppleScript
* Variables are available to Shell Scripts
* Execute Script can store results in a variable
* Support for AppleScript command to calculate expressions
* Support for AppleScript command to process tokens
* AppleScript command to reload the engine macros
* AppleScript command to play sound
Enhanced Application & Window Switcher & Application Launcher:
* Added new Application Launcher
* Applications listed in Status Menu (Running, Recent, Applications, Utilities)
* Added Force Quit (k twice)
* Added Get Info (i)
* Added Reveal in Finder (r)
* Added Relaunch (l). Eg k k l Force Quit & Relaunch
* New icon badges
* Mouse Rollover limited to when you change icons
* Popup contextual menu in Application Switcher & Window Switcher
* Option to disable mouse rollover in Application Switcher & Window Switcher
* Control the opacity of Application Switcher & Window Switcher
* Option to have Window Switcher sort by window depth
* Allow switching through applications in Window Switcher
* Added Cover Flow style to Application Switcher
* Changed to using an alpha colour, removed the alpha slider, and honour the brightness
In Detail for 5.0:
* Command-Option-Control-Shift-Click on Status Menu icon to cancel all macros
* Support org.nspasteboard.TransientType (et al) and have the clipboard history ignore them
* Support org.nspasteboard.AutoGeneratedType for Insert Text by Pasting
* Up/Down arrow move clipboard selection when clipboard switcher search field is selected
* Command-W closes palettes
* The Recording window preserves its location
* Import menu is properly grayed out only when it should be
* Removed Key Repeat preference from Application/Window Switcher
* Multiple Quick Macros would conflict because UIDs were not unique
* Searching for Cut, Copy or Paste in the Action list would not find the actions
* Allow the number pad keys to select duplicate macros from the duplicate macro palette
* And more
Keyboard Maestro 5.x requires Mac OS X 10.6 or greater (including Lion) and an Intel Mac, and is native 32 and 64 bit.
Keyboard Maestro 5.0 is a paid upgrade from previous versions. Customers have been emailed with upgrade licenses or costs.
Keyboard Maestro may become available on the Mac App Store at some date, but that is at Apple's discretion. There is no facility to transfer your license bought from us to or from the Mac App Store, nor any facility to purchase an upgrade to or on the Mac App Store.
Customers who purchased Keyboard Maestro from the Mac App Store will receive a free upgrade to version 5 when (and if) it is approved by Apple, which is largely out of our control. There is no facility to transfer your license bought from us to or from the Mac App Store.
Stairways Software was founded in 1995 by Peter N Lewis to further develop and sell the world-class Mac software that made him famous. Stairways is a privately held Propriety Limited company based in Perth, Western Australia, and Peter continues to lead the company as president and chief executive officer. Peter's goal was to bring high quality Internet and Unix tools to the Mac, combining the traditional Mac ease-of-use with the power of the Internet and Unix. This placed Stairways Software in exactly the right position to capitalize on the massive growth of the Internet from less than one million computers to hundreds of millions. The familiarity with Unix also proved invaluable as Apple transitioned Mac OS to the Unix-based Mac OS X. Along the way we acquired Keyboard Maestro which we ourselves found to be an indispensable productivity tool, and have continued to enhance it. Stairways Software remains a small efficient company which means when you contact us you will be dealing with someone who can directly and personally handle any questions.