September 16, 2008 in OS X Development (E)
[prMac.com] Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada - Apps & More Software Design, Inc. is delighted to announce Script Timer 2.6, an update to its popular script, Automator workflow, and application scheduling utility for Mac OS X. With a focus on ease-of-use, Script Timer can schedule the execution of AppleScript, Perl, and Shell scripts, as well as Automator workflows, and applications.
Script Timer sports a user-friendly Drag and Drop interface for easy set up of any schedule. The application ships with more than half a dozen sample scripts that illustrate its use, including examples of Finder and third party application scripting. Schedule such diverse tasks as system maintenance, file backups, playing music, personal reminders, email and Internet downloads, data logging and more.
Version 2.6 includes more than twenty-five new features and improvements:
* Ability to schedule scripts when a specified application launches or quits
* Ability to specify scheduling times down to the second
* Ability for an AppleScript to dynamically schedule more than one additional action
Also included is Track Timer, a powerful controller that provides an interface between Script Timer and iTunes for automated music play. Among Script Timer's most important features is the ability to specify scheduling times down to the second. No other multipurpose scheduling program schedules to times below the minute. This makes Script Timer particularly suited for professional sound scheduling needs.
Scheduling options include:
* Specific times of the day, week, month, or year
* At regular intervals ranging from seconds to weeks
* When the computer enters or leaves an idle state
* Just before the computer goes to sleep or just after it wakes up
* When logging in or out of the computer
* When a specified application launches or quits
Using a feature called Dynamic Scheduling, users can arrange for an AppleScript to schedule on-the-fly one or more other scripts, applications, or workflows at times of its choice.
Popular uses include:
* Automated execution of any task from checking the mail to emptying the trash
* Desktop publishing font cleanup
* Software development build scheduling
* Office file maintenance
* Home or in the office reminders
* Public and Internet radio stations
* In churches, where Track Timer runs the carillon
* Sound consultants who provide music environments for malls and businesses
* Individuals who want to wake up or come home to music
Script Timer consists of three separate modules; Script Timer itself, used to create and manipulate scheduling data files, a background Scheduling Engine that reads the data files and does the actual scheduling work, and an optional Status Monitor whose icon appears in the system status bar to the right of the main menu bar.
The Status Monitor facilitates the control of the Scheduling Engine, displays its current status, and can be used to open the Script Timer application. A log file records each action, including error messages and optional messages returned from a script, allowing for easy troubleshooting and script results recording.
* Mac OS X Version 10.4 or later
* Universal Binary for PowerPC and Intel
* 4.5 MB Hard Drive space
* An installed BSD package (the default installation)
Pricing and Availability:
A single user license is priced at only $12.00 USD. A Site License (25 users) may be purchased for only $300.00 USD. Worldwide and Academic licenses are also available. A full-featured, 30-day demo is available. Version 2.6 is a free update for all registered users of Version 2.0 and later, and is a recommended update for all customers.
As well as receiving the bundled scripts with the program, upon registering Script Timer customers will receive a URL and password to access eight additional scripts, including a script to schedule QuickTime movies.
Located in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, Apps & More Software Design, Inc. is a privately funded company founded in 1998 by Donald Hall. Leveraging his longtime experience from the engineering field, Donald's main focus is developing powerful, versatile scheduling tools for the Mac platform. As well as its ongoing scheduling software development, Apps & More offers custom AppleScript development. Copyright 1998-2008 Apps & More Software Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, are registered trademarks of Apple Computer in the U.S. and/or other countries.