August 10, 2011 in Education (E)
[prMac.com] Sophia-Antipolis, France - Independent children's app developer L'Escapadou is honored to announce today that Word Wizard was awarded "Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design" in Children Technology Review 2011 August issue. Established in 1993, Children's Technology Review is designed to keep parents, teachers and librarians up to date on the latest children's interactive media products. Editor's Choice Awards are given to only the highest quality children's products in the interactive media category.
Children's Media expert Warren Buckleitner reviewed the app, and declared that "this is a very important app, because it leverages both the powerful speech synthesis abilities of the iPad and the touch screen; so every letter becomes a block of sound that you can touch and hear, or place next to another word to see how they affect each other". The app earned 4.8 stars -out of 5- overall rating and 5 stars in educational, design features and good value ratings.
Using Word Wizard, kids can now build any word or sentence using a Movable Alphabet and immediately hear the text they wrote, as well as verify spelling using the built-in spell checker. This innovative app has the ability to turn whatever words kids create - even words that doesn't exist - into spoken words.
The talking Movable Alphabet comes with the following features and options:
* Spell checker highlights unrecognized words
* American and British voices
* Optional magnetic grid to ease letter placement
* Reads all the words as a sentence
* Uppercase or lowercase letters
* Phonics or letter names when a letter is touched in the alphabet
* Voice Transformer - speed, tone - for added fun
Word Wizard also features 173 fun spelling quizzes using the talking Movable Alphabet. Features of this activity are:
* 173 word lists of 10 words: Dolch Words, 1000 most frequently used words, body parts, family members, etc.
* Create and share custom word lists by entering your own words and sentences
* Hints are available if kids don't know how to spell a word
* Nice animations are displayed when a word is completed
* Once a quiz is completed, a report is displayed and fun interactive animations are available as a reward
* Compatible with iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
* Requires iOS 4.0 or later
* 161 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Word Wizard 1.1 is $2.99 USD, or equivalent amount in other currencies, and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category.
L'Escapadou is an award-winning family design studio dedicated to creating fun, creative and educational apps for iPad and iPhone, and was recognized as "Editor's Choice" by Moms With Apps. Montessori Crosswords, L'Escapadou's top selling app , has won the Children's Technology Review Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design. Pierre Abel holds a PhD in computer science and has extensively worked on user experience design. His wife, a translator currently busy home-educating their daughters, helps in the design of educational apps. Watching their kids - 5 and 8 years-old - learn and play is their main source of inspiration for the apps they make. The studio was founded in 2010 after the launch of the iPad with the belief that the iPad can be a great tool for learning and creativity. Copyright (C) 2011 L'Escapadou. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.