Translate Tab for OS X Lion - Menu Item Utility Translates 57 Languages
September 9, 2011 in Utility
[prMac.com] Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Independent developer Alex Izvekov today is pleased to announce Translate Tab 1.0 for Mac OS X 10.7 or later, his menu bar Utility that provides instant language translation between 57 languages. Based on Google Translate, the app is ideal for quick, desktop translation. Translate Tab features: automatic recognition of the input language, audible pronunciation of the original and most translations, suggested phrases, shift/click-on-word reordering of words in a phrase or sentence, click-on-word alternate translation, one-button reverse translation, and continuous translation while typing.
Translate Tab is a very convenient translation utility that can be easily accessed from the menu bar, while any running application remains in the front of the desktop. Clicking on the Translate Tab status item or icon on the right side of the menu launches a drop-down menu. At the top are two buttons: "Translate From" and "Translate To." Each button has its own drop-down menu with 57 languages listed. In most cases, it is unnecessary to set the input language, as the app automatically recognizes it.
Below the two language selection buttons are two rectangles containing alpha-numeric text fields. The user begins typing a word, phrase, or sentence, and it appears in the top rectangle. Simultaneously, the translation appears in the bottom rectangle. As each letter is added to the input, the translation may change, which gives users an insight into the mechanics of machine based language translation. And while not as accurate as expert human translation, Google Translate usually conveys the essence, if not the subtleties, of the input's meaning. In addition to typing, the user can easily highlight any web page or text and launch Translate Tab automatically from the control key menu. The highlighted text is translated without cutting and pasting.
Translate Tab makes it simple to polish the translation, if desired. For example, a user may paste a paragraph written in US English into the top rectangle and set the translation for German. In fewer than two seconds, the translation appears. Now, the user just copies the translation, pastes it into the top rectangle, and clicks the "Reverse Translate" button. The German is translated into English. The user can note any English words or phrases that are not sufficiently accurate, and clicking on them, alternates are suggested that may be chosen to substitute, or the user may enter their own.
* Translates between 57 different languages
* Detects source language automatically
* Translates text instantly
* Phonetic text input and output capabilities
* Enables users to both read and listen to the translation
* Translates entire web pages
* Checks spelling and offers corrections
* Sends to instant translation through shortcut
* Optional, alternate language keyboards for input of foreign languages
57 Different Languages:
* Afrikaans, Albanian, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Arabic, Basque, Belarusian
* Bulgarian Catalan, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian,
* Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French,
* Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Haitian, Creole, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian
* Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Irish, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian,
* Macedonian, Malay, Maltese, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian,
* Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Thai
* Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh, and Yiddish
"Translate Tab is always ready, right on the menu bar, to translate whenever you need it," stated Alex Izvekov. "You can easily cut and paste between an open document and Translate Tab, and then it disappears until it is needed again."
* Mac OS X 10.7 or later (Lion only)
* Internet connection required
* 0.97 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Translate Tab 1.0 is available at the special introductory price of $1.99 (USD) from the Mac App Store in the Utilities category. The regular price is $3.99. Review copies are available upon request.
Based in Malaysia, Alex Izvekov is an indie developer working on apps for iOS and other smart devices. Copyright (C) 2011. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod, and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and registered trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.