September 12, 2011 in Reference (F)
[prMac.com] Freiburg, Germany - Paragon Software Group, a leading multi-platform software developer for mobile devices and desktop computers, and Oxford University Press, the publisher of the world's most trusted dictionaries and learning materials, have united to bring the world's best-selling dictionary for learners of English as a foreign language to smartphone users everywhere. Engineered with powerful, cutting-edge features including full-sentence pronunciations and grouped graphics the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 8th edition, for iOS devices is easily customizable using the advanced My View feature which allows users to decide exactly which information they want to see, and to find it fast and easily.
Thousands of detailed graphics bring words and definitions to life. Headwords may be shown with individual photos or illustrations, while many words are accompanied by grouped graphics a collection of words and pictures that instantly expand vocabulary. The word "city" allows you to walk the streets of a modern city and see what an arcade or skyscraper is, visualize the difference between a traffic light or street light, and much more. Postbox, letter box or mailbox? See it, read it, listen to it!
The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary application is pre-loaded with audio pronunciations of not just single words, but entire sentences. Users can focus on learning the way words are really used by placing them in context, and they can even listen to British or American accents, or both. If they choose to download the audio modules they can do all of this even when they're offline!
Users can access a wealth of additional information to help them enrich their vocabulary and use language correctly and with confidence. Tap on a MENU heading in thousands of entries to see the integrated thesaurus, collocations, grammar and vocabulary notes, articles on British and American culture, extra example sentences and verb forms.
To help keep all this information accessible, the My View feature allows users to control how much or little is displayed on screen. Hide all of the options and view only the most basic information, or create a mix of settings that match personal learning needs and interests.
"The new medium of smartphone applications opens a whole world of possibilities for using dictionaries on the move," says Joanna Turnbull, editor of the OALD 8th edition. "With more than 58,000 recorded full sentences, users are able to grasp a new language even more effectively than before. By building the program shell for Oxford from the ground up, Paragon was able to introduce the rich audio modules and add interesting new ways of exploring the full dictionary content as well as allowing the user to customize exactly what information is displayed without sacrificing application speed or power."
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary features include:
* 183,500 words, phrases and meanings explained clearly
* 116,000 audio pronunciations and phonetic transcriptions spoken in both British English and American English accents and recorded by native speakers
* 1,300 clear individual and group images
* Oxford 3000 Keywords show the most important words to learn
* Integrated thesaurus provides thousands of synonyms, and lists of collocations (words that go together) to build vocabulary
* Use My View to choose how much information appears on your screen hide IPA, example sentences, pictures, synonyms, etc. tap to show the full entry again. Define your customized view in settings
* Easy-to-understand definitions are written using words from the Oxford 3000 wordlist
* Tap on any unknown word in an entry to look it up immediately
* Similarly spelled words are listed in case of misspelling when searching
* Full dictionary search allows users to find the word they want used in examples and phrases (i.e. the idiom or phrasal verb)
* Parts of speech are included in the index to help users select the one they want
* Menu in many entries allows users to open additional information about word, including verb forms, culture, example bank, synonyms, collocations etc.
* Search History for the last 100 entries looked up
* Create your own list of favorite words
* No on-going Internet connection required (for headword audio only): simply download the dictionary once and use it on your device without any additional wi-fi expense or availability issues (Full sound databases can be downloaded from the settings screen, which require an Internet connection)
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary application will be demoed at Frankfurt Book Fair, at Paragon's Stand L973, Hall 8.0.
* iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
* Requires iOS 3.2 or later
* 434 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 8th edition 1.0 is $28.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Reference category.
Paragon Software Group (Smart Handheld Devices Division & Epocware) offers software for diverse classes of smartphones (Android, bada, BlackBerry, iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Java, Windows Mobile, Symbian OS) and desktop PCs, including multilingual on-line handwriting recognition, localization, business and productivity applications, games, 120 multilingual dictionaries and encyclopedias. PSG has offices in the USA, Germany, Japan, and Russia delivering its solutions to consumers through a network of operators, distributors and OEMs as well as online through the company website. PSG provides technology to a host of world class companies and partners including HTC, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson. To learn more about Paragon Software Group's diverse product line, please visit our website. Copyright (C) 2011 Paragon Software Group All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.