November 20, 2008 in Travel (E)
[prMac.com] Berkeley, California - Vela Design Group announces VelaClock 1.3 for iPhone 3G, the original iPhone, and iPod touch. VelaClock is a world clock with an easily configurable user interface. Users can quickly display the time of sunrise, sunset, and three kinds of twilight (civil, nautical, astronomical) for both dawn and dusk, duration of daylight, moonrise, moonset, moon phase and tilt and more. VelaClock is especially popular among photographers looking for the magic hour.
VelaClock displays a list of cities and corresponding local times. The rows in the city list can show a daylight bar that gives the user a picture of 24 hours of natural light (bright daylight, three kinds of twilight and night). The daylight bar (24 hours of light) may be centered at noon or the current time. A thin white bar indicates when the moon is visible.
The detail area, below the list of cities, has three panels. A quick swipe of the finger will move between the three panels.
Detail Panel descriptions:
1. First panel shows:
* Time of and countdown to the next sunrise or sunset.
* Time of and countdown to the moonrise or moonset.
* Name of the current moon phase.
* An image of the moon as seen in the sky above the currently selected city. This image accurately depicts the moon's phase, and the angle at which the moon's crescent appears to be rotated from the vertical. Because this angle can change rapidly, it is updated once a minute.
* Time until the next moon phase (new, quarter, full).
2. Second panel shows, for current day:
* Times for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset, and three kinds of twilight (civil, nautical, astronomical) for both dawn and dusk.
* Azimuth of sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset. Azimuth (compass direction) is specified in degrees, 0 to 360, clockwise from North.
* Daylight duration in hour and minutes. Change in minutes of daylight from the previous day.
3. Third panel shows:
* Dates, times and images of the next four moon phases.
Up to 50 cities may be added from a selection of over 500 cities.
What's new for VelaClock 1.3:
* Added support for Current Location. Users may add a "Current Location" place to their list of cities. The current location is re-calculated each time VelaClock is launched. If network access or GPS is not avalable, the last current location will be used. This feature is compatible with iPhone 3G, the original iPhone, and iPod touch.
* Added a Home Location place. Users may enter city name, latitude, longitude and time zone for their Home Location. The Home Location is designed for users whose home cities are not included in the built-in list of cities.
* Updated Daylight Saving Time rules for Argentina, Brazil, Mauritius and Syria.
Pricing and Availability:
VelaClock 1.3 is priced at $3.99 (USD) and is available exclusively from Apple's App Store. Existing VelaClock iPhone app users may upgrade for free. VelaClock 1.0 was available on July 11th, 2008, the first day the App Store was open. VelaClock works with iPhone 3G, the original iPhone, and iPod touch. VelaClock does not require a network connection to function.
Vela Design Group has been developing creative and highly usable world clock software for Mac OS X, and now iPhone/iPod touch, since 2004. Vela Design Group is based in Berkeley, California. Copyright 2004-2008 Vela Design Group. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Computer in the U.S. and/or other countries.