January 9, 2009 in Utility (F)
[prMac.com] Austin, TX - When kids surf the web, they are confronted with a great deal of inappropriate material that they can stumble on by just clicking a few links on a web page. Intego, the Macintosh security specialist, helps protect children from the dangers of the Internet, and today announced a new version of its acclaimed ContentBarrier X5 parental control software.
ContentBarrier X5 shields children from offensive content, and prevents them from stumbling on the dark side of the Internet. It protects children from adult web sites, predatory chats, suggestive e-mail and more. Parents choose which categories of content to block, and can block specific applications or protocols (peer-to-peer, instant messaging, e-mail, games, streaming audio and video, and more). Parents can also set up schedules with time limits so their children can only access the Internet at specific times.
ContentBarrier X5 records full logs of all users' Internet activity, and can send logs and notifications by e-mail to parents or administrators. The program can take screenshots of user activity at regular intervals, and record all text typed. A new web administration feature lets parents keep an eye on what children are doing from any computer with an Internet connection. Parents can see full logs, and can allow or block web sites that kids have visited or tried to access.
ContentBarrier X5 uses Mac OS X user accounts, so each member of the family can have their own settings. Parents can adjust protection for each user's age and maturity, allowing or blocking specific web sites, applications and more. An assistant helps set up the program easily for each user.
In addition to being the perfect tool for protecting children at home, ContentBarrier X5 has powerful features that make it the ideal tool for schools and universities wanting to control the content their students access. With the ability to manage dozens of users on a single Mac, ContentBarrier X5 makes it easy for teachers and administrators to keep their students safe. ContentBarrier X5's web administration makes viewing logs, even for multiple users, simple and efficient, and for those institutions using ContentBarrier X5 on many Macs, Intego Remote Management Console provides a full-featured administration interface.
New Features of ContentBarrier X5:
* Improved interface for ease-of-use
* Full recording of activity: sites visited, sites blocked, chats, e-mail, applications, screenshots and keystrokes
* Improved content category filters
* Remote web administration from any computer: Mac, Windows, Linux, iPhone, etc.
* Filters more protocols: FTP/SFTP, SSH, HTTPS and online games
* Quick enabling/disabling of protection for each user
* Prevents external disks and volumes from mounting
* Instant parental authorization for blocked sites
* Easy-access palette to start and stop Internet session timing
Other Features of ContentBarrier X5:
* Setup assistant simplifies user configuration
* Overview screen shows all user settings
* Blocks streaming media
* Blocks peer-to-peer software
* Blocks chats and e-mail
* Blocks selected applications from accessing the Internet
* Works with multiple users
* Multiple levels of protection
* Pre-determined filter categories
* Customizable filters
* Blocks all but selected web sites
* Traffic data recorded for an overview of Internet use
* Individualized access control
* Limits Internet access by day and time
* Anti-predator blocks predatory language in chat sessions
* Detailed log of each user's Internet sessions
* Add user photos for easy recognition and configuration
* Password protection
* Automatic e-mail notification of certain events
* Automatic search engine redirection
* Full manual available from Help menu
* Easy updates to program and filters with NetUpdate
* Mac OS X 10.4 or higher (Tiger and Leopard)
* Runs on Macs with Intel or PowerPC processors
Pricing and Availability:
ContentBarrier X5 is available now
Intego develops and sells desktop Internet security and privacy software for Macintosh. Intego provides the widest range of software to protect users and their Macs from the dangers of the Internet. Intego's multilingual software and support repeatedly receives awards from Mac magazines, and protects more than one million users in over 60 countries. Intego has headquarters in the USA, France and Japan.