iDaltonizer - the app that enhances the visual experience of colorblind
May 3, 2012 in Utilities
[prMac.com] Padova, Italy - dariolocci.it is proud to announce the release of iDaltonizer for iOS. Color blindness, or color vision deficiency, affects a substantial portion of the human population. It can be diagnosed through a comprehensive eye examination, including the Ishihara test, which uses a series of specially designed pictures - composed of colored dots and containing hidden numbers or embedded figures - that can only be correctly seen by people with normal color vision.
Thanks to iDaltonizer, which provides for the simulation of three types of color blindness (Protanopia, Deuteranopia and Tritanopia), colorblind people who have been diagnosed as such following a color vision test can use their iPhone, iPad or iPod with enhanced vision and an enriched visual experience, meaning that they no longer see the world as a gray mass.
iDaltonizer was recently voted "App of the week" by the staff at iPhoneItalia.com, Italy's leading specialized blog for information on the iPhone and App Store applications.
* Protanopia, Deuteranopia, Tritanopia simulation and correction algorithm
* Customizable colorblindness severity and correction levels
* Zoom/magnify function
* Flash photography (where supported by device)
* Flashlight and torch (where supported by device)
The app's key feature is a special image-enhancing algorithm that allows the colorblind user to distinguish the various colors within an image more effectively. While iDaltonizer does not purport to be a color vision cure, it is a highly useful tool for anyone affected by color blindness.
The app's "correction" or "daltonization" function processes and improves any image captured on an iPhone or iPad via specific mathematical matrices, allowing a colorblind user to adjust simulation and correction levels and view a photo that has been corrected and/or simulated - and see the difference. A colorblind user can, for example, take a picture with the camera on his iPhone, view an enhanced image in real time and zoom in on the image, while adjusting the correction level. iDaltonizer is customizable - not only to deal with a particular type of colorblindness, but also to meet each person's individual vision needs. Type, anomaly, and correction can all be adjusted.
* What previously appeared as a gray or ochre mass will now be visible as a set of distinguishable numbers, letters and objects.
* A colorblind person will be able to share their view of the world with normal vision people, and even use the app in "simulated mode" and say to their friends "Until I got iDaltonizer, this is how I saw everything!"
* A colorblind user of the app will be able to distinguish between the various subtleties that could not previously be appreciated - and thus enjoy an enriched and more satisfying visual experience.
* An electronic magnifier costs nearly as much as an iPhone, and performs only one of the many functions offered by iDaltonizer.
While iDaltonizer is an essential tool for colorblind people, it is useful for certain groups of normal vision people also. For example:
* Normal vision people, to view the world as a colorblind person sees it, as well as understand how a colorblind person would see an image corrected by using iDaltonizer;
* Signage designers, to determine exactly how colorblind people would see a sign, and therefore see whether the color combinations proposed would be distinguishable to them.
* Ophthalmologists, to assist their patients;
* Teachers, to demonstrate the nature of color blindness to their students;
* Graphic designers and artists needing to use different color combinations.
* iOS 4.3 or later
* iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
* 1.4 MB
Pricing and Availability:
iDaltonizer 1.0 is $2.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Utilities category.
Purchase and Download
iDaltonizer app of the week in Italy
Featured on iPhoneAppToday.com
Located in Padova, Italy, dariolocci.it is the name of a Italian engineer company developing mobile apps for iOS devices. The attention to achieve the max quality is our first priority. Copyright (C) 2012 dariolocci.it. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.