SmileOnMyMac releases TextExpander 2.5.2 - Adds Shell Script Snippets
February 18, 2009 in Utility
[prMac.com] San Francisco, CA - SmileOnMyMac has released TextExpander 2.5.2, an update to its customizable typing shortcut tool for Mac OS X. With TextExpander, users can define abbreviations for frequently-used text strings and images, also known as snippets. When an abbreviation is typed, it expands automatically to the full snippet.
TextExpander 2.5.2 adds support for shell script snippets. Users can create a snippet from a shell script, assign it an abbreviation, and then trigger that shell script with the abbreviation. TextExpander has supported AppleScript snippets since version 2.0 was released.
TextExpander 2.5.2 also features improved handling of formatting when creating snippets from the Clipboard or a selection and fixes a problem with updating URL-based snippet groups.
What's new in TextExpander 2.5.2:
* Shell script snippets, which expand to the result of the script
* Respects default formatting when creating snippets from clipboard or selection
* Fixed problem with updating URL groups
* Other minor fixes and improvements
* Insert standard greetings, text, and signatures - including formatted text and pictures
* Save keystrokes by typing short abbreviations to get long snippets
* Correct typos automatically
* Organize snippets into groups
* Add snippet groups from external files and online sources
* HTML, CSS, Autocorrect, Accented Word, Symbol snippet groups included
* Date/time math (add or subtract years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds from current date and time)
* Internet Productivity snippet group (shorten long URLs automatically)
* Sync snippets via MobileMe
* Insert the current date and time in any format you prefer
* Print snippets by group
* Position the cursor wherever you want in your expanded snippet
* For programmers, make editor-independent code templates; invoke AppleScripts and shell scripts
* Import from Textpander, TypeIt4Me (v2 & 3) and Typinator (v1)
* Available in English, German, French, Japanese and Italian
Pricing and Availability:
A 30-day fully-functioning demo of TextExpander can be downloaded at SmileOnMyMac's website. The price is $29.95 (USD). A Family Pack license is available for $44.95 (USD), which covers up to five computers in one household. Mac OS X 10.4 or higher is required. TextExpander 2.5.2 is a free update for registered users of TextExpander 1.x and 2.x.
SmileOnMyMac makes creative productivity software for Mac OS X, such as PDFpen, the PDF editing software that won an Editors' Choice Award from The Mac Observer; DiscLabel, the Macworld Eddy award-winning CD label design program; TextExpander, the typing shortcut tool that was named a Mac|Life Editor's Choice; PageSender, feature-rich fax software that also received an Eddy, and BrowseBack, the visual web history tool that won Best of Show at Macworld 2006. All SmileOnMyMac products are available to download free at the company website.