Tidal Pool Software releases Radiation Passport 1.0 for iPhone/iPodTouch
April 13, 2009 in Medical
[prMac.com] Victoria, BC, Canada - Tidal Pool Software is pleased to announce the release of Radiation Passport 1.0 for Apple iPhone and iPod Touch. Radiation Passport keeps track of radiation exposure and calculates cancer risks due to radiology and imaging-related exams and procedures as well as common/background radiation.
X-rays, CAT scans, fluoroscopy (including angiography/angioplasty), and nuclear medicine exams all cause ionizing radiation to be delivered to the body, which can cause cancer. Over the last 15 years, the use of medical imaging has been rapidly increasing. There have been recent estimates that up to 1.5-2% of all cancers within the US are caused by radiation from CAT (CT) scans.
The purpose of Radiation Passport is to educate about the radiation and cancer risks associated with medical imaging exams and procedures that physicians (and dentists) want you to undergo, to keep track of radiology and imaging-related exams and procedures, and to provide an estimate of risk of developing cancer because of this radiation.
The radiation exposure and associated risk numbers are based on published scientific journal papers, however, are in each case an estimate. There are different methods by which to estimate the associated risk.
* Log radiology and imaging-related exams and procedures including the exam/procedure type, date, dosage, and notes
* Estimate background radiation exposure taking into account location and lifestyle
* Includes average dosage values for over 140 exams and procedures and support to enter a custom value
* Calculates total radiation exposure
* Estimates cancer risks (based on radiation exposure) taking into account the age of exposure
* Displays other common risks for comparison
* Check the average dosage and related cancer risks associated with a particular radiology or imaging-related exam or procedure
* Graphs show radiation exposure, cancer risks (based on radiation exposure), and the sources of exposure and risk
* Extensive background section with links to relevant studies and reports
* Email a report of radiation exposure and related cancer risks
Apple iPhone OS 2.2.1 or later
Apple iPhone, iPhone 3G, or iPod Touch
Pricing and Availability:
Radiation Passport is available now for purchase on the Apple App Store for just $2.99 (USD).
Based in Victoria, BC, Canada, Tidal Pool Software is an independent software company dedicated to writing great software for Mac OS X and iPhone. Copyright 2009 Tidal Pool Software. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Computer in the U.S. and/or other countries.