December 21, 2012 in Education (AF)
[prMac.com] London, United Kingdom - Independent publisher Nosy Crow has announced its life science book app, Rounds: Parker Penguin, is now available on the App Store for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. Illustrated by Barry Tranter and written by Emma Tranter, this interactive, multimedia app is recommended for children ages 3 to 6.
Rounds: Parker Penguin is the second app in the innovative Rounds series about the life-cycles of animals.
The first Rounds app, Rounds: Franklin Frog, was named an Editor's Choice app by the App Store (Education Category). It received an Editor's Choice Award from Children's Technology Review, a Kirkus Star, and was shortlisted for a FutureBook Award (Best Children's App). USA Today awarded the app four out of four stars, saying, "It is fabulous. We can't wait for the next one."
Rounds: Parker Penguin combines narrative storytelling with lots of educational information and interactive fun, making it perfect for both the home and the classroom. The app takes the reader through the stages of a penguin's life from birth to parenthood. The child can help Parker to grow up, move around the Antarctic environment on land and in the water, hunt, avoid predators, march to his breeding ground, meet a mate, protect an egg and hatch a chick before starting all over again with Parker's son.
Rounds: Parker Penguin has:
* Well-researched and accurate educational content
* An age-appropriate story told in accessible and carefully-chosen language
* Stylish but child-friendly graphics - the circular story is told using art made of circles and parts of circles
* Hundreds of interactive elements triggered by tapping, swiping and tipping the screen (tipping the screen helps Parker slide around the Antarctic slopes on his belly and dive into the water, for example)
* Hundreds of lines of dialogue voiced by child actors
* Rich animation (you can watch the penguins do their mating dance, for example)
* Original music by BAFTA award-winning composer, Robin Beanland
"We're really excited to have Rounds: Parker Penguin ready for the Christmas holidays. This a wonderfully wintery app that's perfect for the season," says Tom Bonnick, Digital Project and Marketing Manager at Nosy Crow. "The response from teachers and educational experts to the first app was particularly encouraging: Rounds apps are a great way to encourage an interest in both reading and science in young children and make learning fun."
* iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3/4/5 gen) and iPad
* Requires iOS 3.1.3 or later
* 117 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Rounds: Parker Penguin 1.0 is $4.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category.
Nosy Crow is a London-based children's book and app publisher founded in 2010 by veterans of the children's publishing industry working who brought on board experienced electronic games developers. It published 23 books/ebooks and three apps in 2011, and will publish 36 books/ebooks and nine apps in 2012. It was named Children's Publisher of the Year at the 2012 Independent Publishing Awards. In the U.S. and Canada, the Nosy Crow imprint is published under the umbrella of Candlewick Press. In Australia and New Zealand, Nosy Crow partners with Allen and Unwin. Nosy Crow believes in encouraging children to read for pleasure, whatever reading material and whatever reading experience they choose. Copyright (C) 2012 Nosy Crow. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.