June 18, 2007 in Software (F)
[prMac.com] XChange International, the source for extended technology worldwide, are pleased to announce the release of the BlackLining XTension for QuarkXPress 7 offering Universal Binary support. BlackLining works in conjunction with QuarkXPress 7 to allow a user to retain a complete audit trail of all changes made to text. Those who work with financial, legal, and other exact documentation will find this an essential tool.
BlackLining tracks changes made to the text of a document as it is being revised. It is designed to allow a user or viewer of a document to be able to see a complete history of changes that have occurred. Text inserts are shown as underlines and text deletes can either be shown as strike through, or have a caret mark from where text has been deleted. BlackLining has the unique feature of tracking different revision cycles. By choosing different revision cycles it is possible to show a complete history of all the text changes made to a document as it passes through the revision process.
Many new regulations now make executives of companies personally responsible for the content in their publications. BlackLining ensures that they, and the companies that serve them to provide their documentation, are able to be fully compliant and secure in the knowledge that they have reviewed all the alterations that may have occurred. Investing in BlackLining will ensure that users are able to meet these new audit standards and provides an excellent return on investment.
If a run of text, word or letter is deleted, it will be marked as "Struck-Through" with a horizontal line through the centre of the text. New text that is inserted will be marked as underlined, so that it is apparent to the reader that it is a new insert. To retain all the deleted text in a document could mean that it becomes greatly increased in pagination to encompass all the deletes; to enable the pagination to remain correct, it is possible to change views in BlackLining so that struck-through text is hidden but its presence marked only by a small mark or caret to show that a deletion has occurred. Words that have been inserted or deleted will appear or disappear depending on the revision level being displayed; up to 98 revisions level can be recorded.
Preferences govern the screen display and the printed output, and these can be set for individual revision levels as well. In addition there is an option to highlight all on-screen marks and have sidebar markers when printed. A special characters' feature allows a live header of a document to be created so that, if used on a master page for example, all pages can have document information such as name, date and time, as well as BlackLining revision numbers and a checksum.
A history file records the actions taken in a document's history and this can be printed or exported which may be useful for billing or auditing.
- Deleted text can be shown as strike-through or by caret mark
- Inserted text will be shown as underlined
- Up to 98 revision levels can be recorded
- Through the active revision display, a true history of the document can be shown
- Text that has been inserted or deleted will appear or disappear depending on the revision level being displayed
- Allows users to paste text with BlackLining marks in place
- Special characters allow a live header to be built for displaying job information
- Comprehensive set of preferences give full options and control
- On-screen highlight display
- Merge, remove and erase functions for BlackLining marks at all levels
- Complete BlackLining history log file for the document
- Manual BlackLining marking and clearing
- Compatibility for Acrobat Distiller PDF drivers
- Optionally show the BlackLining level(s) on the same line as the document name
- Generate and print a checksum on the same line as the document name when printing with registration marks (checksum is a unique number generated for the page, and if the items on the page differ from one print session to the next then the number will be different)
- Export all text from a document
- Enhanced BlackLining user information report
- Open architecture allows ease of interface with other developers and customisation
Blacklining is available for QuarkXPress 7.2+ and Macintosh OS X (Windows coming soon)
BlackLining is available now through XChange International. Versions are available for QuarkXPress v4, 5 and 6 as well. To order, or for more information, users can visit www.xchangeuk.com, or call on +44(0)20 7490 4455 during UK business hours. Email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
XChange are a leading supplier of desktop graphic and publishing applications, QuarkXTension® technology; Adobe InDesign®, Acrobat® and Photoshop® Plug-ins® and other design and publishing utilities. XChange offer extended technology products from across the world specific to the graphic design, print and publishing industries and make them available to an extensive user base via their printed catalogue or online at their web site. The company are headquartered in Central London.