September 2, 2009 in Networks and FTP (E)
[prMac.com] Chicago, Illinois - Yazsoft today announced Playback 1.0.5, a major update to their new zero configuration media server for Mac OS X. With a focus on ease-of-use, Playback allows anyone to share their media with any Playstation 3, Xbox 360, or other UPnP compatible device. Playback can also share media stored in folders or even make entire disks available to a Playstation 3 or Xbox 360. No configuration required.
Playback is engineered for extreme performance, while at the same time delivering a streamlined design with unparalleled reliability and stability. By default, it will share almost any content on the users system. And Playback automatically integrates with iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture, Adobe Lightroom 2, and Photobooth too, making it a perfect complement to Apple's iLife Suite. Users can share all content from these applications transparently or choose specific playlists and albums.
Those who like to tinker will appreciate Playback's built-in Access Control List (ACL) and bandwidth throttling. The ACL allows users to control which devices have access to their media. Bandwidth throttling limits the transfer rate from the computer to their UPnP device. This allows others on the network to do other internet related activities, such as surf the web and check their email.
Playback was engineered for extreme speed, while offering complete control of shared content. Media is served via lighttpd, the same rock-solid technology that powers YouTube, Wikipedia, and many other popular sites. Playback sports many creature comforts as well, including Growl notifications, Spotlight based searching, on-screen thumbnails (powered by QuickLook), and much more. Playback even includes a handy Status menu which conveniently displays live stream info, at-a-glance.
* Streamlined design
* Unparalleled performance and stability
* Share movies, music, and pictures
* Transparent integration with iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture, Photobooth, and Adobe Lightroom 2
* Complete control of shared content
* Spotlight based searching
* Quicklook thumbnails for all media
* Bandwidth throttling
* ACL access
* Growl notifications
* Status menu with live stream info
* And much more
What's changed in 1.0.5:
* New: Snow Leopard compatibility.
* New: Updated to latest version of Sparkle framework
* New: Tweaked Playback engine for even faster streaming
* New: Faster Quicklook thumbnail performance
* New: Vastly improved reliability when updating to a new version of Playback
* Fixed: Crash related to Transmission's port mapping feature
* Misc: Various internal performance tweaks
* Requires Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or later
* 47 MB Hard Drive Space
* Any Playstation 3, Xbox 360, or other UPnP compatible device
* Network connection (Gigabit recommended for HD)
Pricing and Availability:
Playback 1.0.5 is offered at the Introductory price of $15.00 (USD) for three (3) licenses, and can be purchased from the Yazsoft website. A free 7 day demo is also available for download.
Yazsoft was founded in 2001 to develop software expressly for the Mac platform. With an emphasis on total customer satisfaction, Yazsoft makes up a development team of 5 professionals, each responsible for coding, marketing, and total customer support. Copyright (C) 2001-2009 Yazsoft. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Spotlight and QuickLook are registered trademarks of Apple Computer in the U.S. and/or other countries.