October 19, 2009 in News (E)
[prMac.com] Seattle, Washington - Instant Voodoo Magic (IVM) is proud to introduce Newsie 1.0, their new smartly designed Google Reader client for iPhone and iPod touch. Designed specifically to leverage the iPhone's unique capabilities and peerless interface, Newsie works directly with Google Reader to ensure the news readers see on their phone is the same as the news they will see on the web, allowing anyone to seamlessly switch between their desktop and iPhone or iPod touch devices. Perfect for digging for cool news and sharing with friends or family, Newsie focuses on providing a first class user experience instead of trying to provide features users are not likely to use.
Featuring a fast, attractive, "river-of-news" style interface, Newsie works with the user's Google Reader account to deliver fresh news to their iPhone or iPod touch devices. In Google Reader, sign up to receive automatic updates from favorite blogs, and mainstream publications like the New York Times and others. When interesting items are discovered, read them with Newsie's built-in web browser, easily "star" articles for reading later, instantly share them with the built-in emailing panel, or tweet them using Tweetie or Twitterrific. Any changes that are made to an item's status, including star, read/unread, and shared, is quickly synchronized.
Newsie not only caches articles for off-line reading, it also caches the original web page associated with the news articles that have been starred. With this feature, it is easy to quickly build a reading list for off-line reading on-the-go. And with the integration of NewsGator and Google Reader, NewsGator users can use Newsie to access their RSS feeds too. The application sports workflow-related preferences allowing users to tune the interface to how they work, supports a handy notes panel, and displays a virtually unlimited number of news items - even when offline - only limited by the device's memory.
* Fast, attractive, "river-of-news" style interface
* Efficient Marking Menu
* Syncs read/unread/shared status of news articles with Google Reader continuously
* Immediately caches the web page associated with items
* Context Bar quickly switches between new news, starred and shared items, and annotated news items
* Newsie remembers where the user was in their reading list, and which article was read, even if the app is quit
* Take notes on a favorite article and sync them with Google Reader to access them anywhere, any time
* Filter "river-of-news" by source feed, tag, or folder
* Read summary descriptions of a virtually unlimited number of news items, even when offline
* Browse and email articles without exiting Newsie
* Newsie supports Twitterrific and Tweetie for tweeting news articles
* Supports landscape mode
* Workflow-related preferences let you tune the interface to how you work
* Dependable - Newsie has been beta tested with many users for several months
"As a heavy user of Google Reader on iPhone, I had tried many other client apps, but just couldn't seem to find what I wanted in terms of speed and flexibility" said Mike Manzano, founder of Instant Voodoo Magic. "Newsie basically takes all the good features of gReader and adds features only possible in a native app, such as web page caching and integration with Mail and Twitter apps. Newsie isn't going for the most features. It is all about an easy and solid workflow and a great user experience for people who read and share news often."
* Google Reader account
* iPhone or iPod touch 3.0 or later
* Limited only by available memory
* 0.5 MB
* Internet Connection
Pricing and Availability:
Newsie 1.0 is only $3.99 (USD) and available exclusively through the App Store in the News category. Review copies are available upon request. Newsie requires a free Google Reader account. Users can get one at Google online, or by tapping the "New Account" button on the Log In screen.
Based in Seattle, Washington, Instant Voodoo Magic (IVM) is a privately held company founded in 2009 by Mike Manzano. Committed to providing the highest quality software solutions, IVM was founded for the purpose of creating smartly designed apps for the Macintosh, iPhone and iPod touch platforms by pairing useful technology with easy-to-use interfaces. Copyright (C) 2009 Instant Voodoo Magic (IVM). All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Google, the Google logo, and Google Reader are registered trademarks of Google Inc.