September 8, 2007 in iOS Development (F)
[prMac.com] 9-5-2007 - Fremont, CA - .com Solutions Inc. Releases FmPro Script Diff 1.03 - New Release for Mac OS X compares, edits and searches FileMaker 9 ScriptMaker scripts.
.com Solutions Inc., a developer of multi-platform database migration and development tools, has released FmPro Script Diff 1.03, a FileMaker script comparison and editing utility for Mac OS X & Windows ($100). FmPro Script Diff 1.03 is an updated version which includes support for FileMaker Pro 9 script steps. FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Advanced 9 both include support for transferring FileMaker ScriptMaker scripts via the clipboard on MacOS X and Windows, and FmPro Script Diff takes advantage of this new functionality. Previously this clipboard functionality was only available with FileMaker Advanced.
FmPro Script Diff - FmPro Script Diff compares, edits, searches and stores FileMaker(R) ScriptMaker(TM) scripts. Changed scripts are compared on a line-by-line basis and displayed with color coded tags to the left of each modified line. Interline changes are also highlighted to indicate Changed, Added or Deleted text. Each script's XML source can be manually edited or updated via the Search & Replace feature, and pasted back into FileMaker Advanced.
Transferring scripts between FileMaker Advanced and FmPro Script Diff is accomplished by copying & pasting the scripts via the clipboard. No DDR Export is required. The XML code representing each script is parsed, converted to human-readable text and checked for errors. Each script is stored in an embedded database within FmPro Script Diff. Selected scripts can then be copied back onto the clipboard as XML for pasting back into FileMaker or as RTF formatted text for project documentation. Each attribute of the script definition is copied onto the clipboard, including Script Name, Script ID, and Include in Menu status.
FmPro Script Diff improves productivity by helping FileMaker developers answer questions such as:
What changes have been made to this ScriptMaker script?
Which scripts have been changed between two database revisions?
Which scripts were modified on a particular day?
Which scripts were modified by a specific developer?
Where is this global variable modified within each script of my solution?
Is this field used by any script in my solution (before I delete, modify or reuse it)?
How can I find and change a text string, variable, fieldname or table occurrence within dozens or even hundreds of scripts?
How can I meet regulatory compliance and certification IT auditing requirements such as: Sarbanes-Oxley [aka: Sox, Sarbox], FDA 21 CFR Part 11, and ISO 9000?
FmPro Script Diff Features:
* IT Auditing Functionality - ScriptMaker scripts can be easily compared between any two versions of a database file, without any special preparation required of the database file. It is not necessary to install any plug-ins, add new fields or add/modify tables within the FileMaker database prior to making a comparison. FmPro Script Diff is an external application which retrieves scripts placed onto the clipboard for comparison, editing or searching purposes.
Pressing the TAB key on the Diff screen, enables IT auditors to easily verify documented script changes as each press of the TAB key instantly advances to the next changed script step.
* Colorized Line by Line Diff Results - Identically named but differing scripts are analyzed on a line-by-line basis. Changes are highlighted in color to make it easy to see whether individual lines have been Added, Deleted or Changed. Changed text within each line is also highlighted.
* Easily Find Changed Scripts - Quickly display only the modified scripts within a large group of scripts by using the Diff screen menu item Changed Scripts. If you have dozens or even hundreds of scripts, it can be a significant time saver to filter the Diff results to display only the Changed, New, Deleted or Unchanged scripts.
* Search & Replace Text Within Scripts - How long would it take to manually find and replace a piece of text like a customer name or product name within dozens or even hundreds of scripts? FmPro Script Diff can perform these types of search and replace tasks within a few seconds. Search & Replace can be performed on variable names, Tablename::Fieldnames, Table Occurrences and text strings throughout an entire group of scripts. Updated scripts can then be pasted directly into FileMaker Advanced. All script attributes including Script Name, Script ID and Include in Menu status are retained when transferring scripts via the clipboard.
* TAB to Highlighted Text - When a script is clicked in search mode, the search text is highlighted in yellow in the Script Text display field. Pressing the TAB key automatically advances to the next occurrence of the found text within the field. This timesaving feature is also used for the Script Errors display, which shows script errors highlighted in red. For Diff results, the field automatically scrolls and highlights the first changed line of text, and pressing the TAB key advances to the next changed line.
* Quickly Browse Scripts - Each script is displayed in a format which is similar to the FileMaker script printout format. Script step names and comments are displayed in bold, options are plaintext, and Tablename::Fieldnames are underlined. Disabled instructions are displayed in italic text. Complex script steps with many options are displayed in a multi-line format, without requiring the opening of modal dialog boxes within ScriptMaker. Import and Export field lists are especially easy to read as a list of fields with Match/Import/Export parameters.
* Share Scripts Among Developers - The XML source for any group of selected scripts can be exported and transferred between developers working on a project. This file can be archived for historical purposes or imported by other developers into their own copy of FmPro Script Diff.
* Edit XML Definition for Scripts - The Script XML field allows developers to browse and modify the XML definition for any ScriptMaker script. Changes are automatically saved to the embedded database when clicking outside the Script XML field. The XML is re-parsed into human-readable text and checked for errors. Every parameter of a script (including Script ID, Script Name etc.) or individual script step can be modified by editing the script XML definition. Scripts can also be generated by external tools and pasted into the Script XML field, for pasting back into FileMaker Pro/Advanced.
* Script Repository Feature - The Script Repository screen can be considered a longer term storage location where commonly used scripts may be stored in one convenient location. Scripts can be copied between each screen by using the same copy and paste mechanism used to transfer scripts between FmPro Script Diff and FileMaker Pro/Advanced.
* Copy Whole Scripts or Script Steps to Clipboard - The default mode for copying scripts onto the clipboard copies the entire script definition with all included script steps. Holding down the Shift key when copying scripts onto the clipboard copies only the individual script steps. This method enables the pasting of script steps into an existing ScriptMaker script.
The single-user licensing includes a copy of FmPro Script Diff for both Mac OS X (Universal Binary) and Windows platforms.
A functional demo version of FmPro Script Diff may be downloaded from http://www.fmproscriptdiff.com/downloads/demo_software/index.html#fmpro_script_diff_demo
For more info please see: http://www.fmproscriptdiff.com/products/fmpro_script_diff
FileMaker is a trademark of FileMaker, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
.com Solutions Inc. develops multi-platform graphical applications supporting FileMaker, Oracle, MySQL, Access, SQL Server, Sybase, DB2, PostgreSQL and FrontBase developers. FmPro Script Diff, compares and edits FileMaker ScriptMaker scripts, FmPro Layout Diff, compares FileMaker Layouts. FmPro Migrator ( www.fmpromigrator.com ) migrates FileMaker databases to and from FileMaker. FmPro Worksheet sends SQL commands to FileMaker 7 databases. For more information about .com Solutions Inc., please visit www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net.