Skewsoft releases Sums 1.1 for iPhone and iPod touch
December 9, 2009 in Finance
[prMac.com] Cambridge, Massachusetts - Skewsoft today is proud to announce Sums 1.1, an update to their popular ledger and tally sheet utility for iPhone and iPod touch. Designed specifically to take advantage of the iPhone's unique capabilities, Sums is an easy-to-use, no-nonsense bookkeeping application that aims to make managing numbers a snap.
Featuring an intuitive, paper-like interface, Sum makes it easy to write a budget, track expenses, balance the checkbook, tally game points, log mileage, or manage any other list of numbers. With just a few quick taps, record, edit, and keep a running total of the amounts, tallies, scores, and figures that matter. The total is calculated automatically and always stays up-to-date.
Sums places emphasis on usability through the use of notebook-like sheets. It offers a numeric keypad with large buttons for entering, editing, rearranging, and deleting figures quickly and easily. Users may create an unlimited number of sheets, or simply swipe to delete sheets and entries. Tapping the Total Bar instantly scrolls to the end of a sheet for easy viewing, and negative numbers are displayed in red for better visibility.
One of Sums' most unique features is its ability to duplicate sheets, allowing an existing sheet to be used as the template for a new one. Sums also remembers the user's last position in each sheet and faithfully restores it when they return. Additionally, users can export sheets via email. Data is sent as tab-delimited text, which can be viewed directly or imported into Excel, Numbers, or other applications.
* Elegant, intuitive interface - Just tap and type to add or edit an entry
* Numeric Keypad with large buttons for entering and/or editing numbers
* Total is calculated automatically and always stays up-to-date
* Editing Mode allows deletion and reordering of entries
* Swipe to delete sheets and entries
* Negative numbers are displayed in red for better visibility
* When leaving a sheet, Sums remembers the last position and restores it when returning
* Scroll to the end of a sheet by tapping the total bar
* Create an unlimited number of sheets
* Option to export sheets via email
* Ability to duplicate sheets - Allows an existing sheet to be used as the template for a new one
Version 1.1 is a significant update, and includes many user-requested features as well as minor bug fixes. Sums now offers sharper entry text and introduces a new keypad with larger buttons to make it easier to enter and edit numbers. The scroll position is saved and restored for all sheets, and tapping the Total Bar automatically scrolls to the end of a sheet. Users can now duplicate sheets, as well as copy a sheet's total for pasting into other sheets, or other apps.
New in version 1.1:
* Numeric keypad with large buttons for entering/editing numbers
* Scroll position is saved and restored for all sheets
* Scroll to end of sheet by tapping total bar
* Ability to duplicate sheets (allows an existing sheet to be used as the template for a new one)
* Ability to copy sheet total (for pasting into other sheets or other apps)
* Sharper entry text
* Minor bug fixes
"I wanted a little utility for keeping track of my checkbook balance, but none of the available applications met my needs," said Christopher Stawarz, founder of Cambridge based Skewsoft. "Spreadsheets are total overkill, and specialized checkbook apps are cluttered with "features" that are of no interest to me and just get in my way. All I wanted was a simple, two-column notebook that lets me quickly enter and edit entries and automatically calculates the current total. And that's exactly what Sums is. Even better, since Sums isn't pigeonholed into a particular application domain, it's perfect for a wide variety of money or number management tasks. For example, my fiance and I use it to keep track of wedding expenses, as well as for keeping score when we play Scrabble."
* Compatible with iPhone and iPod touch
* Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later
Pricing and Availability:
Sums 1.1 is only $4.99 (USD) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Finance category. Review copies are available upon request.
Based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Skewsoft is an independent software shop founded in 2009 by software engineer Christopher Stawarz. With over six years professional experience and a background in physics, math, and computer science, Christopher's aim is to produce high-quality software that makes user's lives simpler and more enjoyable. Prior to founding Skewsoft, Christopher worked at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, and HiveFire, an MIT startup located in Cambridge, MA. Copyright (C) 2009 Skewsoft. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.