January 5, 2010 in iOS Development (E)
[prMac.com] New York, NY - Looking for inspiration to create a killer iPhone app? Apressís latest book, "iPhone Design Award-Winning Projects," is all about building apps with good design, parsimonious code, and aesthetic appeal. Learn hard-won lessons straight from the 2009 winners of the "Apple Design Awards" (ADAs) for the iPhone. Directly from a series of interviews with the leading developers of ubiquitous iPhone apps such as Tweetie, Facebook, Topple 2, foursquare, AccuTerra, Exit Strategy NYC Subway Map, Postage, Wooden Labyrinth 3D, Prowl, Instapaper, and more, here are eight tips to getting your app on the road to award-winning success:
1) Innovate beyond Appleís design standards while still maintaining Appleís logic for consistency, clarity, and usability.
2) Consider making a game social. App connectivity using Core Location has the potential to create an incredibly Pavlovian response in users looking for something to do ... which can be the difference between an amusing app and truly addictive one.
3) Use compression to pack large images and geo data into a local app if your app is data-heavy.
4) Build an app with beauty as well as brains. Donít settle for less than absolute excellence in execution. Good looks may win impulse buyers, but it is an appís brains that keep those buyers using it long after theyíve come across competitors.
5) Create a beautiful app without falling victim to memory issues by harnessing OpenGL, skinning, object reuse, and by coding efficiently.
6) Keep the feature list focused, simple, refined, and compelling. Fit the big idea for your app into a small space by thoroughly understanding your userís needs.
7) Plan an App Store strategy that works with and empowers your users. Donít release your app without formulating this step.
8) Prepare for upgrades, name-changes, spin-offs, and price adjustments. The life of an app depends on so much more than just initial coding and design, it also relies on knowing how to handle the second act. This means being agile and adapting to the fast-changing standards of the App Store.
About iPhone Design Award-Winning Projects
Apressís latest book, "iPhone Design Award-Winning Projects" by Chris Dannen profiles developers who have received the prestigious Apple Design Award for iPhone app excellence. Youíll learn all about what makes these apps truly standout, including explanations of great user interface design and implementation, as well as the code under the hood that makes these the most responsive, intuitive, useful, and just plain fun apps running on the iPhone.
Apress, Inc., part of Springer Science Business Media, is a technical publisher devoted to meeting the needs of IT professionals, software developers, and programmers, with more than 700 books in print and a continually expanding portfolio of publications. Apress offers a complete package of books on developing for the iPhone and Mac OS X. For developers who want to code games, create compelling user interfaces, or better get a handle on just what makes an App cool, Apress has books to suit. Copyright (C) 2009 Apress, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.