May 17, 2010 in Education (E)
[prMac.com] Sacramento, California - iHomeEducator has released a new educational app for Kindergarten to 6th grade. iLiveMath Oceans includes over 30 types of sea creatures, educational links, and educational videos with over 100k randomly generated math word problem questions which teach addition, subtraction, and fractions.
The first in the iLiveMath series was listed by GameClassroom as a Top 10 Educational iPad App, "Stampeding toward an iPad near you, this app (iLiveMath Animals of Africa) combines math with zoology for a hair-raising learning experience (which is currently being enhanced for Apple's latest and greatest)."
"...iLiveMath apps are engaging and succeed in making mathematical connections to real world scenarios thus allowing math to 'come alive' for students. This is a great alternative to traditional practice while still providing meaningful problems to further develop concepts", states Hyperhomeschool blogger.
"These games are child and adult friendly. I especially loved playing just to look at the gorgeous, colorful photographs. Even better is the ability to learn 'on the go' as I usually have my iPod with me when out and about, while waiting at the doctor's office, or anywhere else I happen to be." states The Homeschool Desk
Just like the previous iLiveMath apps, students and teachers can collaborate on word math problems using Twitter, email, and blogs. Questions are asked and the student selects the answer from a picker dial. The student is then provided immediate correct or incorrect feedback.
(1) Review dynamically and randomly generated word problems
(2) Share your question and answer summaries on our community blog
(3) Email the questions and answers to your educator for review
(4) Tweet questions to followers and friends
(5) Explore related educational wiki links in a kid safe browser
(6) Watch fun educational videos after you've correctly answered a certain number of questions. This can be set by the educator at a threshold of 1, 5, 10, 15, and 20 correct answers before the video feature is enabled
* Level 1: Basic Addition and Subtraction
* Level 2: Includes Addition, Subtraction, and Basic Fractions
* Level 3: Includes Addition, Subtraction, and Fractions
Universal App release advantages:
* Runs on iPad as well as iPhone/iPod touch
* Layout for the iPad fully utilizes the larger screen, new button layout, new picker popup, and new view transitions
* Landscape and Portrait Mode is supported for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch
Arlene Lee, co-founder and Chief Mom, said, "Our children found word problems to be challenging and therefore we wanted to help remedy that with fun topics and multimedia to help in teaching these critical concepts by developing the iLiveMath series of apps. We recently visited an aquarium with our children, which inspired us to develop iLiveMath Oceans. We hope your children enjoy this app as much as our children do."
* iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
* iLiveMath Oceans is a Universal App and therefore automatically runs on the iPad
* Requires iPhone OS 3.1.2 or later
* Compiled on Operating System 3.2
* 5 MB
Pricing and Availability:
* iLiveMath Oceans, is available on the iTunes Apps Store for the price of $2.99 (USD).
* iLiveMath Oceans, Animals of Africa, and Animals of Asia are currently all Universal Apps for the iPad.
* iLiveMath Animals of Africa, Animals of Asia, and Winter Sports are also priced the same.
* MathSpinK, 1, 2, and 3 are each $0.99.
iHomeEducator was founded in 2009 by a credentialed California State Board of Education teacher and parent. We currently home educate three children through a Charter School. Through this personal experience we are able to provide tools for home educators. Our applications provide a means of personalized learning and fun independent study serving students from kindergarten through 12th grade. At iHomeEducator, we believe every child can excel by leveraging today's modern mobile wireless technology and collaborating through social networking. Copyright (C) 2009-2010 iHomeEducator. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.