June 15, 2010 in Services (E)
[prMac.com] Portland, Oregon - ActiveTrak(TM) Inc., a leader in advanced theft recovery software for consumer and business devices, is proud to announce a 95 percent recovery rate for laptops and smartphones running its GadgetTrak(R) application. Compared to FBI crime statistics that reveal only 10 percent of all burglaries are actually solved, owners of a mobile device should be advised that using GadgetTrak dramatically increases the chances of recovery should their device be stolen or lost. In addition to ActiveTrak's high recovery rate, over the past year the company has helped law enforcement catch burglary suspects, and break up device and identity theft crime rings.
"Remote theft recovery software like GadgetTrak gives detectives a new weapon in their arsenal that surpasses any other tool available to help catch burglary suspects in a matter of days," said Special Agent Marc Hinch with California's San Mateo County Vehicle Theft Task Force. "GadgetTrak is key to catching criminals this summer, a season notorious for an increase in thefts."
GadgetTrak offers the industry's most advanced theft recovery software for laptops, smartphones, and portable media devices, including the first such security product for the iPad. Protected by GadgetTrak, a lost or stolen device can be pinpointed on a map within roughly 10 feet using GPS, Wi-Fi positioning or cell phone triangulation. Using a device's onboard camera, GadgetTrak can automatically take a picture of a theft suspect and remotely lock the device as well as completely wipe any data.
"Most homeowners do not keep track of product serial numbers, so finding common electronic devices once they're sold at pawn shops, or on Craigslist or eBay, and returning them to their owners is virtually impossible," said Ken Westin, ActiveTrak founder and CEO. "With GadgetTrak, we've been catching thieves in the act for years, not only recovering laptops and mobile phones for our customers, but also solving larger crimes including theft rings."
ActiveTrak has been retrieving devices and catching criminals around the world since its founding nearly three years ago. Recent recovery stories include:
* GadgetTrak provided police with the location of a stolen laptop, photo of a suspect and ultimately led them to a theft ring responsible for at least four burglaries that had plagued public schools in Portland, Oregon.
* GadgetTrak remotely captured photos of a thief who had stolen a laptop and jewelry, ultimately leading to police catching the suspect and recovering the stolen goods within a couple of days in Springfield, Oregon.
* A customer in Oregon had his laptop stolen and ActiveTrak worked with law enforcement to track the criminal down all the way in Missouri.
Advanced features of GadgetTrak include:
* The ability to trigger a remote ping that initiates a loud noise from a lost or stolen smartphone (even if it is in silent mode)
* Remote device lock
* Remote data wipe
* Recovery assistance and much more
ActiveTrak Inc. is a leading provider of innovative and patented theft recovery and loss prevention solutions for laptops, smartphones, and portable media devices. The company's consumer product, GadgetTrak, delivers the most advanced theft recovery software available for consumers and businesses today. ActiveTrak not only provides the technology to recover and protect data on devices, but also recovery assistance. The company is headquartered in Portland, Oregon.