September 25, 2010 in Games (E)
[prMac.com] Sophia Antipolis, France - L'Escapadou today is pleased to announce the release of Montessori Crosswords Lite 1.0 for the iPad and the iPhone, the free version of the fun and interactive game that helps kids develop their writing/reading skills based on the proven Montessori learning method. Montessori Crosswords average rating is 4 stars (31 ratings) and a lot of positive feedback has been received through reviews on the store and in the press:
* "I am a Speech-Language Pathologist and use this application as a reward for my patients. It is a nicely made crossword game and the soothing colors, sounds and animations add a special touch that the children truly appreciate."
* "Good graphics and my daughter really likes it. As a 4 year old, I think it helps her start to understand how alphabets become words."
* "The interface is easy to master and handle. The app gives great positive feedback for spelling words right. Very well thought through, and rewarding as a learning tool. Highly recommended."
* "The best edutainment apps are able to teach kids without condescending to them, and Montessori Crosswords is a beautiful example of this. Montessori Crosswords is a great way for kids to develop literacy in an engaging way that feels like play." - commonsensemedia.org
The lite version gives users a chance to try the app before they buy, with a limited set of words (32 on the 282 available) and visual effects (3 on the 21 available). Montessori Crosswords Lite 1.0 also features the full version of the standalone Movable Alphabet.
Montessori Crosswords was created after the founders of L'Escapadou observed their home-schooled daughter having fun with a Montessori picture-spelling activity. They wanted to recreate this experience in a lightweight format, adding all the fun that the iPad/iPhone technology can bring, such as direct interactions, animations and sounds, as well as automatic crosswords construction.
Features included in the lite version :
* Universal app (Retina display on iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4)
* Includes 32 different word - picture combinations (282 in full version)
* Three levels of phonetic difficulty appropriate for ages 3 to 8-9 (as defined in the Montessori method)
* Level 1 displays simple words for beginning readers
* Levels 2 and 3 automatically create multi-word crosswords in hundreds of different combinations, encouraging unlimited repeat play
* 3 Fun and colorful interactive visual effects are displayed when a crossword is completed (21 effects available in full version) Visual effects animate and change as they follow your child's touch
* Also included is a Movable Alphabet that allows open-ended activities for young children learning their letters and phonetic sounds. Letters can be rotated and resized to add to the fun
* Packed with animations and sounds to create a fun and enjoyable experience
* Children can play alone or with a parent. Includes instructions on how to use the game as an educational tool
* Choose capital or lower-case letter display
* Organize letters alphabetically or Montessori style (vowels first, followed by consonants)
* Displays the total number of completed words
* Uses Montessori standard colors for vowels and consonants
* Compatible with iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
* Requires iPhone OS 3.1 or later
* 11.0 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Montessori Crosswords Lite 1.0 is free and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Educational Games category.
L'Escapadou is a family design studio dedicated to creating fun, creative and educational apps for iPad and iPhone. We are a homeschooling family, and watching our children - 4 and 7 years old - learn has always been a great inspiration for the educational tools we make. The studio was created after the launch of the iPad with the belief that the iPad can be a great tool for learning and creativity. "Dad" has developped and designed applications on Apple computers since Apple IIe and holds a PhD in computer Science, and "Mom" is a translator currently busy home-educating her daughters. L'Escapadou has already released "Draw with Stars!", a toy for iPad and iPhone which was featured by Apple in New and Noteworthy" and "What's Hot" in iPad/Entertainment category in several countries. Copyright (C) 2010 L'Escapadou. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.