July 12, 2011 in Utility (E)
[prMac.com] Stornoway, United Kingdom - Elegant Chaos today is pleased to announce Neu 1.1 for Mac OS X, an update to their file making utility. Neu is a simple application that makes it easier to create new documents in the Finder, without you having to open an application first. It does this by adding menus and global keyboard shortcuts that can be triggered from the Finder (or any other application).
Changes in the 1.1 release include:
* Added "behaviour" and "appearance" preference panes, removed "general" pane, reorganised preference items
* Improved handling of symbolic links, added support for Finder aliases, and added options relating to them
* Added "Create Document On The Desktop..." and "Create And Open On The Desktop..." service menu commands
* When documents are created on the desktop, they are now just selected on the desktop in the Finder, rather than another "Desktop" window being opened
* Added some more substitution variables
* Switched Help to use an embedded PDF manual instead of Apple Help / web pages
* MacOS X 10.6.5 or above
Neu makes it easier to create new documents in the Finder, without you having to open an application first. It does this by adding "Create Document..." and "Create And Open Document..." menus to various places, including the main menubar, the Dock, and the Services menu that the Finder shows when you right-click on something. You can also trigger Neu from any application using a special key combination.
Neu lets you choose what to make from a list of templates, which are simply existing documents. Once you've chosen a template, Neu creates a copy of it, brings the Finder to the front, and selects the new document.
Neu comes with some pre-defined templates, but you can add your own, so you can customise the types of new document available to suit your needs. It can make a blank text document, an empty letter, a shopping list, or anything else that you want. You can have one template, or a hundred - it's up to you.
Located in Stornoway, Scotland, Elegant Chaos was founded in 1997 by Sam Deane. Our aim is to produce elegant software for the Mac, iPhone and iPad. Copyright (C) 2011 Sam Deane, Elegant Chaos. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.