August 26, 2011 in Productivity (E)
[prMac.com] Vestal, New York - RafSoftware today is pleased to announce Remoter VNC 3.0 for iOS, an update to their productivity app that enables users to remotely control Macs via Screen Sharing, and Windows or Linux computers using the VNC or RDP standards right from their iOS devices. The app uses Bonjour and NetBIOS to make setup a cinch, and it features a novel and highly praised "virtual trackpad" that allows to control the mouse cursor intuitively. RemoterFusion, which provides sound redirection and easy setup, RDP, Telnet and SSH support are available as in-app purchases.
The app offers one of the fastest implementations of the VNC and RDP protocols on the iOS platform. Operation is intuitive, with a well thought out interface that allows users to either tap on the screen and have taps converted into clicks on the remote system, or use a unique "virtual trackpad" that gives users precise control, and ease of use. A drag or stylus mode on the iPad version is also provided, which gives users the ability of easily dragging items, or drawing on their computers directly from their iPad just by using their fingers or a stylus.
On Macs, setup is now ultra-simple with the RemoterFusion add-on. Port-forwarding and/or dynamic DNS is no longer needed in order to establish connections from outside the computer's network. This add-on also provides sound redirection, which allows listening to music tracks, or any sound playing remotely on the computer from the iOS device. RemoterFusion can be tested for free for 24 hours.
Otherwise, local session set-up is still simple, all the computers from the WiFi network are found using both the Bonjour and NetBIOS standards. The user then taps on the desired connection, and all queried information such as computer name, IP address, service port, and more auto-populates the set-up screen. The user then only needs to enter the VNC password to complete setup. A button labeled "Advanced" reveals many useful advanced options, like color depth, server scaling setting, compression level and more.
The new RDP add-on allows connecting to Windows computers that include an RDP server (Remote Desktop Protocol). This allows connecting to these machines without having to install a server, as is the case with VNC.
Via the SSH add-on, the app allows users to establish secure and tunneled VNC, or RDP if the RDP add-on is also used, connections to their computer desktop. This add-on also gives users the ability of establishing terminal connections to any SSH server. Featuring full terminal control, including special keys such as Control, Alt, F1-F14. Terminal support implements font foreground and background color, a terminal buffer, and clicking. SSH authentication includes both passwords and private/public key support. A fully featured SSH Key manager allows users to create SSH keys using RSA or DSA. Passphrases can also be set, and independent SSH keys can be used for each SSH session.
The SSH add-on also gives users the ability of create up to five TCP tunnels. The tunnels can then be accessed while the app is in the background by any other app on the iOS device. Providing a VPN connection to the SSH server. Background connections can stay active for a full ten minutes.
The Telnet add-on enables users to connect to server computers using the Telnet protocol. Like with SSH, the app provides full color support, a terminal buffer, and special keys.
Both the SSH and Telnet add-ons allow for selection of text which is then synchronized with the device's pasteboard, and can then be pasted within the application, or into any other app.
The app's features a sleek connection selection interface that is controlled by swiping on the iOS device to graphically select the desired connection. For professional users that have many connections, a "Session Selection" screen is also available. This option presents a list view of all available connections. Sessions can be sorted by name, type or usage.
Wake-on-LAN support is also built-in, when the server session is setup using Bonjour or NetBIOS, the MAC address is automatically populated. Otherwise the field is provided to allow the user to populate it manually. Wake-on-LAN can then be sent either from the main screen of the app, or via the session selection screen.
Macros can also be created and run. Macro support is included for VNC, RDP, SSH and Telnet sessions, and a Macros manager allows for renaming and deleting of existing macros.
The app is extremely configurable, in the "Remoter Config" screen users can select from a variety of options to best suit their needs. Options such as trackpad type and acceleration, visual clicks, international keyboard support for OS X are included.
While connected to a server, the app supports both landscape and portrait mode, full-screen mode, different pre-set zoom levels, along with a smooth pinch-to-zoom interface. Pasteboard synchronization is also supported for all connection modes. External keyboard support, either USB or Bluetooth is also provided.
* Fast VNC protocol 3.8 supported. Compatible with Mac Screen Sharing, the latest UltraVNC for Windows and Linux VNC servers
* Universal Binary: iPhone, iPad and iPod touch! Buy once, run on all your devices! All iOS firmware versions (3.1.2 - 5.0)
* Support for sound/music redirection from your Mac and easy setup without port-forwarding / dynamic DNS with RemoterFusion add-on
* Support for RDP, SSH and Telnet, VNC over SSH, RDP over SSH, and arbitrary SSH port tunnels via In-App purchases
* Novel Virtual TrackPad allows for precise and intuitive control! right-click, and dragging. Scroll with a side-scroller bar! Three trackpad modes.
* SSH supports public-key authentication. Included SSH Key management sytem to generate, email, copy to pasteboard the SSH keys
* Support for recording and running Macros!
* International keyboard support for servers that don't support direct input mode: German, Swiss-German, Russian, French, Danish and Spanish Keyboard mappings.
* UltraVNC MS Login Authentication Support, Server-Side Scaling and Multiple Monitor support
* Wake-on-Lan Support
* Bonjour and NetBIOS computer discovery
* Supports BOTH Landscape and Portrait orientations
* Intuitive Pinch to Zoom and drag to scroll. Also presets: "Fit Height", "Fit Width" and "1:1"
* Special Keys: Including: Esc, Tab, Alt, Up, Down, Right, Left, PageUp, PageDown, F1..F12, Control-Alt-Delete, Command, Windows-key, etc
* Support for 8bpp, 16bpp and 32bpp color depths
* Fullscreen mode
* Clipboard synchronization (Paste is universal, but copy requires server support)
New in Version 3.0:
* RDP: Windows Remote Desktop in-app purchase (includes sound redirection)
* RemoterFusion: Easy setup sound redirection for Macs (sound also plays in the background)
Other Great Enhancements!:
* Keyboard transparency level is configurable now (sp keys toolbar transparency now matches keyboard)
* Automatic-reconnection added, can be enabled/disabled by the user
* Remoter now handles URLs! Supported for VNC, RDP, SSH, Telnet
* Last connection is now remembered
* Tap-And-Hold for a couple of seconds to bring up a menu with options such as right-click, double-click
* Session state is now remembered: fullscreen, trackpad, keyboard, zoom level and offset
* SSH/Telnet font can now be user configured (available on a per-session basis!)
* SSH/Telnet text rendering updated to make it much more precise; this is specially important for text based applications that draw text in specific locations
* Session Editor / Remoter Config completely re-written so that help for each element is always displayed, many options now displayed using better more intuitive controls as well
* Added a new Kiosk mode option to Remoter Config: This forces sessions to run in a more controlled, and always full screen mode (sponsored by Sean Stevens)
* Machine discovery on startup is now user configurable in Remoter Config
* Trackpad edge scroll speed: default is now lower for iPhone/iPod
* Added support for iOS 5, using GCD on iOS 4
* Added support for local framebuffer (client-side) scaling (useful for when connecting to high resolution displays)
* New trackpad button system. Now it's possible to drag by holding the trackpad left button with one finger, and dragging on the trackpad with the other; just like it's possible on a real trackpad. Double clicking and right-clicking are also more true, as well as feedback animations.
* Fixed right-clicking on Snow Leopard w/RDP update 3.5.1
* Fixed problem with 'Fit Width' / 'Fit Height' not working correctly under certain conditions
* Fix to macros menus with lots of entries
* Many more minor issues
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* iOS 3.1.2 or later (iOS 5 tested)
* Universal Binary
* 8.7 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Remoter VNC 3.0 is now at the special price of $0.99 (USD) with free lifetime upgrades, and is available worldwide through the App Store in the Productivity category. In-app purchases are available that enhance the functionality of Remoter VNC. The RDP add-on is $3.99. The RemoterFusion add-on is $2.99. The SSH add-on is $0.99. The Telnet add-on is $1.99. The Remoter Complete add-on is $5.99 and includes RemoterFusion, RDP, SSH and Telnet add-ons, plus free lifetime upgrades for all new and revised add-ons. Review copies are available upon request.
Located in Vestal, New York, RafSoftware was founded by Raf Cabezas in May, 2010. The company seeks to produce high quality software while maintaining a very low price point. Copyright (C) 2011 Raf Cabezas. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod, and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. VNC is a registered trademark of RealVNC Ltd.