May 25, 2012 in Education (E)
[prMac.com] Los Angeles, California - 24x7digital LLC has released Smiley Sight Words 2.0, an educational flash-card app optimized for Apple iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. Smiley Sight Words is a comprehensive flash-card learning tool containing over 1,600 high-frequency sight words, compiled from a variety of sources including Dolch, Fry, Pinnell-Fountas, UK, and AU word lists. Flash-cards respond to taps, swipes, and shakes - students may tap the displayed sight word to hear professionally recorded American-English pronunciations; swipe flash-cards to navigate the stack of words; and shake their device to shuffle the flash-cards.
The 1,600 sight words included with Smiley Sight Words comprises up to 85% of the text in a child's early reading materials. A child who can recognize just 8 of 10 words in a sentence can typically understand its meaning! "Sight words" often cannot be illustrated via simple pictures or sounded out according to regular phonetic decoding rules, thus they need to be learned and recognized "on sight". Smiley Sight Words is a handy way to keep track of and encourage a child's mastery of their sight words.
Version 2.0 is now fully optimized for iPad and all retina displays, as well as iPhone and iPod touch.
* Over 1,600 common sight words
* Choose from over 80 pre-defined word lists or create your own custom sets
* Tap a card to hear the word spoken
* Mark flash cards with smileys based on right or wrong answers
* View history results for each card
* Easily switch between cards by swiping, tapping or shaking
* Beautifully recorded American-English pronunciations for all words
* Show and Hide individual words
* Customizable settings for up to 30 players
* Share word sets between players
* Export word lists via Email
* Player names and photos can be customized
* Progress Report can be saved to Photo Library
* Copy and Paste words
* In-app Help documentation
The fun-to-use smiley rating system allows a parent or teacher to rate a student's mastery of each word. Students are encouraged to earn 3 thumbs-up smileys for each word, and may view their progress report at any time. Students advance to higher levels after learning the words in the current stack.
Rating System Levels:
* Top 1000 - 40 levels sorted by frequency
* Dolch 300 - 7 levels (pre-primer, primer, grade 1-3, nouns 1-2)
* Dolch 300 - 11 levels sorted by frequency
* Fry 1000 - 10 levels sorted by frequency
* UK 1000 - 10 levels sorted by frequency
* AU Rainbow - 12 levels sorted by color-code
* More Words - Upper and lower-case alphabet, numbers 0-100, colors, shapes, animals, months, days of week, family
* Words organized by number of letters
* 10 Customizable Flash Card sets
* 10 Customizable Shared Flash Card sets
* iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
* Requires iOS 3.1 or later
* 25 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Smiley Sight Words 2.0 is only $1.99 (USD) and available exclusively through Apple's App Store in the Education category. Apple Education Volume Purchase Program 50% discount is available for schools.
Based in Los Angeles, California, 24x7digital LLC is a privately funded company founded in 2002 by Rei Yoshioka and Mark Yamashita. Leveraging their longtime experience in development and consulting, 24x7digital's focus is developing high-quality, simple, and easy-to-use apps for the Apple iOS and MacOS platforms. Copyright 2002-2012 / 24x7digital LLC. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Computer in the U.S. and/or other countries.