September 21, 2012 in Games (E)
[prMac.com] Gothenburg, Sweden - Aggressive Development today is pleased to introduce Kalah in Africa 1.0 for iOS, their version of the internationally popular board game Kalah. Two players start with 36 seeds, 6 in each of the small pits or depressions in a row in front of them. A large pit/bowl, or Kalah, is to the right of each player. Players take turns removing all the seeds from one of their pits and distributing them one at a time counter clockwise into any of the 12 pits or their own Kalah. Gameplay requires that the player invite a friend or be matched on Game Center.
* Ancient Egyptian seed game
* Count and capture to collect the most seeds in your Kalah (bowl)
* Turn-based play requires tactical and strategic thinking
* Invite a friend or be matched on Game Center
* Internationally popular game where the winner is not determined until the final moments of gameplay
Played in landscape orientation, and featuring a handsome, redwood gameboard, Kalah in Africa includes a decorative pit in the middle of the board in the shape of the African continent. Seeds are in circular pits, also called houses or bowls. The two Kalahs are much larger, capable of holding 36 to 72 seeds. An easy game from ancient Egypt, players count and capture to build up seeds in their own Kalah. When one player has no seeds remaining in any of his 6 houses, gameplay ends (with all remaining seeds going to the opponents Kalah), and the player with the most seeds wins.
As in many challenging, strategic games, the rules of Kalah are simple.
Rules of Kalah:
* The goal of Kalah is to get the most seeds in your Kalah
* Your Kalah is the big bowl to the right
* Players take turns moving (extra turns are possible)
* During their turn, players select one bowl, and all of its seeds are distributed counter clockwise, one in each bowl, except for the opponent's Kalah
* If the last seed players drop ends up in their Kalah, the player gets a free turn
* If the last seed players drop ends up in an empty bowl on their side, they win that seed, plus all the seeds in the bowl directly opposite on their opponent's side of the board
Like chess and checkers, Kalah is a logical game where players try to optimize their current and future positions. When computers play such a game, they generate a game tree (e.g., Björn Myrvold's Kalaha Game). The first ply consists of all the legal moves available to the first player. The second ply consists of all possible counter-moves by the second player. In Kalah, there is a maximum of 6 legal moves per turn. A 2-ply search requires the evaluation of 36 possible end positions, while a 4-ply search (4 half moves ahead) generates 1,296 end positions. Beyond the capacity of human Kalah players, games must be won through intelligent, selective searches and winning strategies.
* iPhone 3GS/4/4S, iPod touch (3rd/4th generation), and iPad 1/2/3
* Requires iOS 5.1 or later
* Universal app optimized for display on all iOS devices
* 27.3 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Kalah in Africa 1.0 is free and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Games category.
Based in Gothenburg, Sweden, Aggressive Development was founded by Klas Petersson and Olof Thorn in 2010. Aggressive Development creates high quality apps for the Swedish and international market. Our focus is usability and quality. We do in-house development, but we also offer consultant services. Our currently most successful app is the digital magazine store Qiozk. Copyright (C) 2010-2012 Aggressive Development. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and registered trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.