November 1, 2012 in Education (E)
[prMac.com] San Jose, California - First Light Design is continuing its celebration of the 25th anniversary of its award-winning Distant Suns astronomy software and apps, with a 72 hour sale of Distant Suns (max) for iOS devices for $1.99, (80% off the regular retail price of $9.99) on the App Store, and most Android tablets for $1.99 (40% off the retail price of $4.99) on Google Play and NOOK Store. The sale will run from 12:01 am Friday, November 2, until midnight, Sunday, November 4.
In addition, the Distant Suns 25th Anniversary Sweepstakes continues, offering nearly $1,000 in astronomy related prizes, including a SkyQuest Orion Telescope, a pair of Celelstron Binoculars, and three Mars Meteorites. The contest ends midnight, Sunday, November 4. To learn more about the sweepstakes, go to the Distant Suns Facebook page.
Originally released for the Commodore Amiga(R) in 1987, Distant Suns has been available on almost every computer platform and operating system. It is one of the longest-lived, continually published, consumer software titles still on the market, bested only by products like Windows, Microsoft Word, and Broderbund's Print Shop.
A Brief History of Distant Suns Software and Apps
* 1987 - released for Commodore Amiga under the name "Galileo," soon changed to Distant Suns
* 1990 - Windows 3
* 1995 - Macintosh
* 2008 - iPhone
* 2010 - iPad
* 2012 - Kindle, NOOK, Google Nexus, Samsung Galaxy
* View the stars from the Earth or out in the solar system
* Augmented Reality Viewing overlays the sky with the local landscape (iOS only)
* Current stars and solar systems being monitored by the SETI Institute's Allan Telescope Array, as it listens for possible extraterrestrial civilizations (iOS only)
* What's Up? Offers an overview of the evening's sky
* GPS and Compass aware
* NASA's Night Sky Network of local astronomical events (US iOS only)
* Over 300,000 planets, stars, galaxies, nebula and star clusters
* Interactive tour of the solar system
* And much more
For more information on the current product line and supported systems, go Distant Suns online.
First Light Design, LLC, is a privately owned company. It first released Distant Suns for the Commodore Amiga in 1987, followed by versions for Macintosh and Windows. Recently, Distant Suns has partnered with NASA's Night Sky Network and the Astronomical Society of the Pacific to include local, United States listings of astronomical events and activities in the App. It has also partnered with the SETI Institute to provide real-time monitoring of Allen Telescope Array extraterrestrial targets. First Light Design is a proud member of Moms With Apps, a collaborative group of family-friendly developers with family-friendly apps. Copyright (C) 2012 First Light Design, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Distant Suns is a trademark of First Light Design, Inc. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.