May 10, 2013 in Software (E)
[prMac.com] Cary, North Carolina - Remoter Labs today is proud to announce the release of Remoter 1.4.0 for OS X Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion, an update to their productivity app that enables users to remotely control Macs via Screen Sharing, and Windows or Linux computers using the VNC or RDP. The app supports Printer and Clipboard sharing for RDP, and uses Bonjour and NetBIOS to make find servers. Sound redirection and easy setup, RDP, Telnet and SSH support are included.
The app offers one of the fastest implementations of the VNC and RDP protocols on the Mac platform. Operation is intuitive, with a well thought out interface.
When connecting to other Macs or Windows, setup is ultra-simple with the free RemoterFusion helper app. Port-forwarding and/or dynamic DNS is not needed in order to establish connections from outside the computer's network. This app also provides sound redirection, which allows listening to music tracks, or any sound playing remotely on the computer.
Otherwise, local session set-up is still simple, all the computers from the WiFi network are found using both the Bonjour and NetBIOS standards. The user then clicks on the desired connection, and all queried information such as computer name, IP address, service port, and more auto-populates the set-up screen. The user then only needs to enter the VNC password to complete setup. A button labeled "Advanced" reveals many useful advanced options, like color depth, server scaling setting, compression level and more.
RDP is also included, allowing connections to most Windows computers that include an RDP server (Remote Desktop Protocol). This allows connecting to these machines without having to install a server, as is the case with VNC.
The app also allows users to establish secure, SSH-tunneled, VNC or RDP connections to their computers. SSH support also gives users the ability of establishing terminal connections to any SSH server. Featuring full terminal control, including special keys such as Control, Alt, F1-F14. Terminal support implements font foreground and background color, a terminal buffer, and clicking. SSH authentication includes both passwords and private/public key support. A fully featured SSH Key manager allows users to create SSH keys using RSA or DSA. Passphrases can also be set, and independent SSH keys can be used for each SSH session.
The SSH feature also gives users the ability of create up to five TCP tunnels per connection. The tunnels can then be accessed while the app is in the background by any other app. Providing a VPN-like connection to the SSH server. Telnet enables users to connect to server computers using the Telnet protocol. Like with SSH, the app provides full color support, a terminal buffer, and special keys. Both the SSH and Telnet features allow for selection of text which is then synchronized with the system's pasteboard, and can then be pasted within the application, or into any other app.
The app features a beautiful connection selection interface. Servers can be sorted by name, type or usage, and, buttons allow easy access to only VNC, RDP, SSH or Telnet machines. A search box also allows to easily find the desired server.
Wake-on-LAN support is also built-in, when the server session is setup using Bonjour or NetBIOS, the MAC address is automatically populated. Otherwise the field is provided to allow the user to populate it manually. Wake-on-LAN can then be sent either from the main screen of the app, or via the session selection screen.
Macros can also be created and run. Macro support is included for VNC, RDP, SSH and Telnet sessions, and a Macros manager allows for renaming and deleting of existing macros.
The app is extremely configurable, and even includes an app-wide PIN security system to prevent unauthorized use. Lion's Full-Screen as well as "Carbon" Full-Screen modes are supported.
* A complete solution, no in-app purchases
* Multiple simultaneous connections
* Completely resigned session selection interface
* RemoterFusion compatible (for connecting and sound streaming and multi-monitor support on the Mac)
* Fast VNC protocol 3.8 supported. Compatible with OSX (Snow Leopard and Lion) Screen Sharing, the latest UltraVNC for Windows and Linux VNC servers
* Support for sound/music redirection from OSX and easy setup without port-forwarding / dynamic DNS with RemoterFusion
* Support for RDP (w/encryption support). Including sound redirection!. SSH and Telnet, VNC over SSH, RDP over SSH, and arbitrary SSH port tunnels
* SSH supports public-key authentication. Included SSH Key management system to generate, copy to pasteboard the SSH keys
* Support for recording and running Macros
* International keyboard support for servers that don't support direct input mode: German, Swiss-German, Russian, French, Danish and Spanish Keyboard mappings
* UltraVNC MS Login Authentication Support, Server-Side Scaling
* Wake-on-Lan Support
* Bonjour and NetBIOS computer discovery
* Support for 8bpp, 16bpp and 32bpp color depths
* Fullscreen mode
* Clipboard synchronization (Paste is universal, but copy requires server support)
* Printer sharing (RDP)
* Font Smoothing (RDP)
* Sessions backup and restore via Dropbox
What's New in Version 1.4.0:
* Updated icon artwork
* RDP: Added font smoothing support / session editor option
* RDP Updates: Full Clipboard Redirection (two-way), Printer Redirection
* Greatly enhanced scroll wheel processing (Considers momentum based devices (magic mouse / trackpad) and normal scroll wheel devices different, and applies different transformations. Scrolling is now accumulated rather than passed. As Mac scroll events are pixel based, and VNC wants lines. Adding sensitivity option for mouse wheel scrolling to config screen (under keyboard for now))
* Updated Italian localization strings by Gabriele (Gabus) (Added Gabriele Michieli to credits (gabus) - italian translation help)
* Don't go out-of fullscreen mode on remote buffer resolution changes
* Smart Cmd Q: If no sessions active, simply quit. If sessions active, ask (requested by user James)
* Don't show options to go fullscreen while fullscreen
* Also added "Fill Screen" option and "1:1" now natively done, and animated (Still doesn't support 1:1 for frame buffers bigger than local resolution)
* Adding refresh button to Grid's discovery list
* Updates to NetBios to hopefully detect more machines (more retries), reverse-dns for hostname
* German localization updates by alexschomb - thank you
* Spanish localization 100%
* Enhanced RF in session editor, to force user to connect before changes can be saved
* Fix for F9, F10, F11, F12 w/ Direct keyboard mapping
* Thread safety update: Synchronized access to inputQueues for all protocols. This should fix crashing issues.
* Corrected a bug in Session editor that would prevent the editor from coming up (exception) if the MAC field was corrupted.
* Fixed a bug that was causing the legacy renderer to be used in Mountain Lion. (Thanks to Alex for helping track this down!)
* Now that menus are generated at run time, the window menu wasn't getting populated correctly with the active sessions. Added this missing function.
* Fixed potential crash issue (Crash reported by Marc)
* Fixed issue when saving screenshot and using legacy rendering.
* Fixed Netbios/Bonjour slowdowns (Fixed blocking during startup if bonjour MAC address resolution is taking too long. Now handled in a different thread)
* Fixed issue in zoom 1:1 were the resolution was getting retrieved from a state variable that might not always contain it.
* Fixed problem during connection when restoring incomplete session state, where the resolution field is not set. (Not restoring).
* If unicode mode on, and RDP, then consider a direct connection regardless of the selected keyboard layout.
* Categories Manager, CloudSync Manager: Fix so that localized strings are correctly applied to title and buttons.
* Fixed problem where if the session state resolution was not stored correctly, then the screen would not appear on connection, until the connection actually established.
* CloudSync: Fixed restore issue where if two sessions had the same name, but different categories, only one of the would be restored.
* Fix erroneous alert display for RF and both password and username request.
* Now username can be entered for RF sessions.
* Now username request can be entered for RF sessions
* RDP: if pw is empty and nla is used, and connection fails, this is because windows rejects blank passwords for NLA. Call it an auth error. (Instead of a simple disconnection).
* Corrected potential issue with RDP connection time that could cause a reconnect loop on connection failure after a successful connection to the same session.
* Fixed 021French_Alt.rkl filename (filename had strange characters at the end, preventing it from being included)
English, Bokmal, Norwegian, German, Italian, Spanish
* OS X 10.6.6 or higher
* 12.3 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Remoter 1.4.0 is now at the special price of $10.99 (USD) with free lifetime upgrades, and is available worldwide through the Mac App Store in the Productivity category. Review copies are available upon request.
Located in Cary, North Carolina, Remoter Labs was founded by Raf Cabezas in May, 2010. The company seeks to produce high quality software while maintaining competitive pricing. Copyright (C) 2010-2013 Remoter Labs. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Macintosh, OS X are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. VNC is a registered trademark of RealVNC Ltd.