July 13, 2010 in Books (E)
[prMac.com] Los Angeles, CA - TOON Books, a publisher of children's storybooks for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, today announced Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons 2.0. Selected as a Best Children's Picture Books by Publishers Weekly when it was released, Silly Lilly in the Four Seasons by Agnes Rosenstiehl (recipient of the prestigious Grand Prize for Children's Books of the Societe des Gens de Lettres) was described as "perfect for new readers" by the School Library Journal. "Comic moments...draw us directly into Lilly's emotional world, where attention is routinely paid to everything, from a lowly dandelion on up," remarked the eminent critic Leonard S. Marcus in a starred review.
Unique features of the TOON Books iPhone/iPad app include:
* Lively narration that brings the story to life. Onscreen text and highlighted speech balloons help readers make associations between the words they hear and see. It is the closest experience to being read a book that any app can deliver. As with all TOON Books, repeated use builds reading fluency.
* The carefully chosen vocabulary is recommended by educators for young children; the app is designed specifically for young readers for ease of use, with easy-to-read large type and pages that can turn automatically or be swiped back-and-forth manually for a true feeling of turning the page.
* Narration is available in five languages - English, Spanish, French, Russian and Mandarin Chinese. The interactive options immerse young readers in the story, making this a great tool for both English Language Learners and very young English speakers learning a new language. There's no better way to introduce a child to a new language than with the universal language of comics.
Silly Lilly is the American counterpart to Mimi Cracra, the star character of over 100 books and a television show in France. The TOON Books line recently expanded with hardcover bilingual French/English editions published in France by Casterman, the most recent of which is Silly Lilly in the Four Seasons.
TOON Books' Editorial Director Françoise Mouly (who is also Art Editor of The New Yorker) launched the new line of comics for young readers to overwhelming praise.Vetted by educators and librarians, the collection is a breakthrough in books for early readers, now used in K-2 classrooms throughout the US. The Silly Lilly app follows Jack and the Box by Art Spiegelman, the Pulitzer-Prize author of MAUS (featured in the LA Times and Apple's April 2010 "What's Hot", and among the 10 ten apps in France upon release) as well as Little Mouse Gets Ready, by Jeff Smith, the author of the bestselling Bone books, as the third iPhone/iPad app released by TOON Books and iStoryTime, the leader in iphone children's books.
* iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
* Requires iOS 3.0 or later
* 13.9 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons 2.0 is $2.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Books category.
iStoryTime is part of FrogDogMedia, LLC. The company was founded in 2009 by two fathers and an uncle who love to have fun with their families. Driven by a passion to make children's books more accessible and entertaining, iStoryTime is the pioneer of children's book apps for the iPhone. The organization has created a new medium for established and first time authors to showcase their work at no expense. The new publishing platform provides parents with a library of compelling children's books available anytime, anywhere. Copyright (C) 2009-2010 FrogDogMedia, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.