May 20, 2008 in Software
[prMac.com] Mainz, Germany - Never get lost. Navigate even the most complex kinships - in 3D. With our new Virtual Tree, MacFamilyTree 5.2 intuitively displays all kinds of family relations. Hobbyists as well as genealogy experts will fancy the Virtual Tree, making it easy to inspect and navigate one's entire family tree database.
From all perspectives, close-up and from a broader angle, MacFamilyTree renders a three-dimensional mesh of persons and their relations. Highlight common characteristics using different colors and shapes. Navigating the Virtual Tree is simple: just point, click and drag with your mouse, or use a dedicated Navigator to literally fly through your own ancestry.
MacFamilyTree 5.2 also significantly enhances GUI and workflow for editing families. Additionally, GEDCOM import is now even faster than before, and HTML export has been improved to better handle Media contents. This most recent update to version 5 is currently available as Public Beta and fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and its predecessor.
New and enhanced features:
New - Virtual Tree
* Navigatable 3D view of the entire database
* Completely displays all trees
* Visualizes complexity and scope of one's genealogical research
* Single- or double-click and drag with the mouse to move between generations
* Display essential information right at your mouse pointer
* Easy-to-use Navigator as a handy control to virtually fly through family history
* Quickly jump to a specific person using the Person List, well known from our Family Assistant
* For analytical purposes, entries (persons) can optionally be color-marked according to their date of birth, age or sex
* Pristine 3D views with Open GL and Full Scene Anti Aliasing (on recent Macs)
New - Family Navigation in Person Edit Mode
* Clearly display all known parents, partners and children for a given person
* Families and persons can be directly accessed - no need for navigating back and forth between lists and windows
* Parents and partners can be created easily and directly from this new pane
* Age column for Person Events to immediately check a person's age at a given event
* Genogram view now displays items chronologically: events by date and children by date of birth
* Support for complex kinships improved
* HTML export of media content improved
* Significantly higher GEDCOM import speed
* The usual minor enhancements, tweaks and fixes
During Public Beta testing, we only provide US English and German localizations. More languages will be available with the final product. We currently support the following languages with the latest stable release (MacFamilyTree 5.1.7):
* US English, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Swedish
* many other language versions are due to be released as subsequent free updates
MacFamilyTree 5 requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or higher, a PPC Macintosh with 512 MByte RAM (1024 recommended), ATI Radeon 7500 or NVidia GeForce 4 MX graphics chipset or better and a minimum of 16 MByte video memory. All Macintosh computers with Intel processors and Intel's GMA 950 graphics chipset or better are supported. MacFamilyTree 5 is fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
Pricing and Availability:
MacFamilyTree 5 can be purchased for $49.00 USD, upgrades are $25.00 USD. Demo is also available for download. Update from all previous versions of MacFamilyTree requires valid registration key from previous versions. For customers who purchased MacFamilyTree 4 on, or after August 14th, 2007 the upgrade to MacFamilyTree 5 is free. Registration codes will automatically work with MacFamilyTree 5.
Although this Public Beta of MacFamilyTree 5.2 has been submitted to heavy internal testing, crashes and even the loss of data cannot be completely ruled out. Version 5.2 Public Beta should not be used in a live, or production environment, and users are advised to test at their own risk.
Synium Software GmbH is a software development and consulting company, based in Mainz (Mayence), Germany. Apart from being a successful publisher within the Mac software market, we offer a popular web-based news service at mactechnews.de for the German-speaking audience. All Material and Software (C) 2005-2008 Synium Software GmbH / All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, are registered trademarks of Apple Computer in the U.S. and/or other countries.