November 22, 2011 in Games (E)
[prMac.com] Atlanta, Georgia - Chimera Software today is pleased to announce Starbase Orion 1.0.6 for iOS, an update to their highly reviewed 4X Game that draws inspiration from titles such as Master of Orion and Galactic Civilizations. Players lead their empire from the birth of its space age, on to colonize new worlds, explore new horizons, develop new technologies, and discover other players attempting to do the same. It is a race to the stars, where only one empire can declare victory over the galaxy. In single-player mode, the game features the company's 2010 Google AI Engine Contest entry, which scored in the top 15% of all entrants. Alternatively, Starbase Orion offers a multiplayer mode that employs Game Center's advanced, asynchronous, turn-based gaming. The recipient of universally glowing reviews, according to AppAdvice, "This one is geek heaven."
Noted for the complexity of their gameplay, 4X games allow the player to rule an empire where the goal of the game is to "explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate." Because of their remarkable attention to detail, these games take some time to learn, and gameplay can extend over long periods. Starbase Orion is a serious, futuristic, turn-based, strategic game. "Starbase Orion is here, and it's glorious," says TUAW.
Magisterial in its scope and execution, Starbase Orion allows players to choose their race at the start of each game. There are five unique races included: Human, Draske, Vass, Cyban, and Isather. Players can also create their own custom race by picking and choosing between different racial characteristics. Each of the five races includes a detailed biography of their strengths and weaknesses. In designing a custom race, players have 10 Attribute points to spend, and each has a positive or negative cost. Among the attribute categories are: Farming Proficiency, Industriousness, Mental Acuity, Economic Acumen, Procreative Tendencies, Tolerance of Low or High Gravity Environments, Large or Small Home World, Rich or Poor Home World, Piloting & Navigation Aptitude, Creativity, Scientific Abilities, Accustomed to Battle, Shared Intelligence, Engineering Skills, Likeability, and Ethical Values and Behavior.
* Turn-based, strategic, space, 4X game for iOS 5, optimized for display on all devices
* Provides highly challenging single-player mode using advanced AI engine
* Unrivaled multi-player mode via iOS 5 asynchronous Game Center capabilities
* Built-in video and animation enhance summaries of food, taxes, command, etc.
* View graphics and data summaries at the Galactic or Empire level
* Hi-res star maps with touch sensitive star systems
* Inset window displays each planet in a star system
* Touch to display fullscreen graphic and data about each planet
* Customize each ship in the fleet; select hull, weapons systems, and ship systems
* Guaranteed free updates
There is a culture of Starbase Orion growing, and players are encouraged to contribute. The game leverages various technologies first introduced in iOS 5 to enhance gameplay. Designed to provide an unrivaled multiplayer experience, players launch the game, sign into Game Center, start a new multiplayer game, play their turn, and are automatically matched to another player when someone else decides to play. There is no need to coordinate play times or seek out other players. In addition, the game includes support for iCloud sync and storage, so that saved games are instantly available on all the player's devices. Users can begin a game at home on their iPad, then pick it up again the next day on their iPhone.
The game includes a comprehensive tutorial, set of instructions, contextual, in-game help, and there are voluminous postings on the game's website from players and designers. Instructions are divided into 12 chapters: Exploration, Planets, Food, Credits, Build, Research, Foreign, Morale, Command, Combat, Building, and Technology.
* Exploration - travel distances, fuel reserves, scanning range, worm holes, star systems, binary star systems, nebulae, "space monsters"
* Planets - toxicity, radiation levels, barren, desert, tundra, ocean, swamp, arid, Terran, Gaia, mineral resources, gravity
* Food - farmers & colonists, food distribution, advanced farming and hydroponics
* Credits - Galactic Credits, taxes, building maintenance, military expenditures
* Build - Building Queue, special focus, colony buildings, military and colony ships
* Research - more than 75 proposals (astrophysics, military, and civil), time limits on funding
* Foreign - covert operatives, espionage, sabotage
* Morale - measuring morale, factors affecting morale, racial attributes, buildings
* Command - fleet size, Empire command points, fleet command usage
* Combat - Galactic Turns, playback controls, orders, close/medium/long range, formations, evasion, targeting
* Building - hoarding, funding, industry, research, farming, military, planetary expansion, colony ships, troop ships, terraforming, Gaia device, covert operative, Marine barracks, agent training camp, sanctioned sports, artificial nebulae, efficient tax collection, planetary core mining, cloning facility, advanced farming techniques, planetary gravity generator; Warp Gate I, Warp Gate II; Starbase I, Starbase II, Starbase III; Research Center I, II, III; Orbital Laboratory I, II, III; Trade Port I, II; Efficient Factories I, II; Robotics Facility I, II; Hydroponics Center I, II; Orbital Weather Controller I, II; Space Elevator I, II; Advanced City Planning I, II, II; Improved Colony Infrastructure I, II, III; and Colony Security Facility I, II.
* Technology - Astrophysics Research (27 Projects); Civil Research (26 Projects); Military Research (36 Projects), (e.g., point defense system, warlord overhaul, pacifist overhaul, Marine barracks, agent training facility, stockpiled ordnance, orbital bombardment package, additional fuel reserves, Laser Beam I, II, III; Nuclear Missile I, II, III; Gauss Turret I, II, III; Plasma Turret I, II, III; Ion Pulse Cannon I, II, III; Proton Torpedoes I, II, III; Heavy Armor Plating I, II; Reinforced Bulkheads I, II; Energy Shields I, II, III, IV; Colony Security Facility I, II)
"The most important feature of Starbase Orion is its support of Game Center's asynchronous, turn-based gaming," commented Rocco Bowling of Chimera Software. "The value of this system cannot be overstated; this methodology for playing a 4X TBS game has already proved to be a true game-changer."
* Compatible with iPhone 3GS/4/4S, iPod touch (3rd/4th generation) and iPad 1/2
* Requires iOS 4.0 or later (iOS 5 tested)
* Universal app optimized for display on all iOS devices
* 48.6 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Starbase Orion 1.0.6 is $7.99 (USD) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Games category. Review copies are available upon request.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, Chimera Software is the independent publishing entity founded in 2009 of Rocco Bowling, owner and founder. During the day, Rocco is CTO for Small Planet Digital; at night he exercises his creativity by developing award-winning games. Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Chimera Software All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and registered trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.