December 20, 2011 in Education (E)
[prMac.com] Sophia Antipolis, France - Children's app developer L'Escapadou today is proud to release Montessori Crosswords 3.5, an update to their award-winning app for iPad and iPhone. Based on a proven educational method, Montessori Crosswords helps kids develop their writing, reading and spelling skills by building words using a phonics-enabled Movable Alphabet and 320 word-image-audio combinations.
This free update adds a Christmas words section (20 words) and to celebrate the release, Montessori Crosswords is priced $0.99 today (regular price is $2.99). The update also includes some new features and options requested by parents and teachers:
* Qwerty Layout option
* New phonics options
* Easy way to hide solutions and limit animation time
* Better visual feedback for digraph like "ch","oi","th", etc.
* New "ck" et "oi" sounds categories
Montessori Crosswords has been mentioned in the New York Times and has won many accolades:
* Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design from Children's Technology Review - 4.8/ 5 - "It is an extremely powerful early reading experience."
* "5 Favorite Apps for Elementary School iPads" - "An excellent tool for learning spelling and early literacy " - Wired's GeekDad
* "Montessori Crosswords is a great way for kids to develop literacy in an engaging way that feels like play." commonsensemedia.org
* Featured by Apple in "Apps for Learning to Read", "Apps for Learning to Write" & "Words for the Wise"
Sue Holt, an experienced, National Board Certified Teacher wrote this review about version 3.0, entitled "Best Literacy App in my opinion", on the App Store: "I have high standards for what I think is a good app, especially when it comes to paid ones. This app is a must have for families and teachers of 3-8 year olds. (...) There are few apps I would pay for to put on all of my classroom iPads, but this is certainly one of them."
* 320 word-image-audio combinations
* 41 phonics sounds including digraphs and blends
* When kids touch a letter of the alphabet, the phonic played matches the sound this letter produces in the displayed word using one of the 41 phonics available
* Kids can touch the white squares where they must place letters, and hear the phonics for the word. All phonics are supported: long and short vowels, consonants digraphs like "th", and even silent letters.
* Three levels of phonetic difficulty, appropriate for ages 3 to 8 - as defined by Montessori educators
* Level 1 displays simple words for beginning readers (CVC words)
* Levels 2 and 3 optionally create multi-word crosswords in tens of thousands of different combinations, encouraging unlimited repeat play
* 21 fun and colorful interactive visual effects are displayed when a crossword is completed. Visual effects animate and change as they follow your child's touch
* Also included is a Movable Alphabet that allows open-ended activities for young children learning their letters. Letters can be rotated and re-sized to add to the fun
* Choose capital, lower-case or cursive letter display
* Displays the total number of completed words
* Packed with animations and sounds to create a fun and enjoyable experience
* Compatible with iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
* Requires iOS 4.0 or later
* 15.9 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Montessori Crosswords 3.5 is priced $0.99 USD today only to celebrate the update. Regular price is $2.99 USD. It is available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category for iPad and iPhone.
Based in Sophia Antipolis, France, L'Escapadou is an award-winning, family, design studio dedicated to creating fun, creative, and educational apps for iPad and iPhone, and it was recognized as an Editor's Choice by Moms With Apps. Montessori Crosswords, L'Escapadou's top selling app, has won the Children's Technology Review Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design. Pierre Abel holds a PhD in computer science and has worked extensively on user experience design. His wife, a translator currently busy home-educating their daughters, helps in the design of their educational apps. Watching their kids - 5 and 8 years old - learn and play is their main source of inspiration for the apps they make. The studio was founded in 2010 after the launch of the iPad, with the belief that the iPad can be a great tool for learning and creativity. Copyright (C) 2010-2011 L'Escapadou. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod, and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.