iOS App GLSL Studio Gets 3D Object Import, Code Completion and More
February 1, 2012 in Productivity
[prMac.com] Fort Lauderdale, Florida - kode80 LLC has announced the release of GLSL Studio 1.02, the second update to it's fully featured OpenGL programming environment for iOS. GLSL Studio brings serious GPU programming abilities to iOS allowing graphics coders to work on the go and filling a gap in the App Store productivity library.
GLSL Studio 1.02 introduces 3D model import enabling developers and artists to test shader programs on their own 3D models directly in the app. A number of different file formats are supported including .OBJ .PLY and .MD2. Importing 3D models into GLSL Studio is made simple with iTunes File Sharing. The GLSL Studio code editor also sees a significant update in 1.02 gaining full code completion. As you type, GLSL keywords, function names and more are suggested along the top of the keyboard acting as a language guide and adding significant typing shortcuts. When exporting shader programs, GLSL Studio now also exports the current vertex data as a static array .h file making it even easier to quickly integrate and test in off-device projects.
GLSL (OpenGL Shader Language) is a GPU programming language used by most modern portable devices and new technologies such as WebGL. GLSL programs are run directly on the graphics hardware allowing full control over how geometry and pixels are processed. GLSL Studio not only enables the creation, editing and compilation of shader programs but also exposes device capabilities such as multi-touch and live video streaming to them allowing for things such as realtime video filters to be created.
Aimed at both novice and expert developers alike, GLSL Studio provides a safe and easy environment for experimenting with GPU programs requiring nothing more than an iOS device. Various example programs ranging in complexity are included giving new programmers lots of material to learn from and expert programmers a starting point for their own programs. GLSL programs can be used directly in applications on any platform that supports OpenGL ES 2.0 and GLSL Studio allows exporting via iTunes File Sharing and email attachment so work done on the road can easily be integrated into a main project.
* Create ES 2.0 vertex & fragment shaders
* Compiler debug output
* Native code editor & syntax highlighting
* As-you-type GLSL code completion
* Light & dark syntax highlighting themes
* Custom keyboard with arrows & shortcuts
* Automatic code indentation
* Various 2D/3D example programs included
Generate vertex data in-app:
* Primitives: Grid, Cube, Sphere, Torus
* Texture Coords: LinearX/Y/Z, Sphere
* Normals: Flat/Smooth
Import 3D Meshes via iTunes File Sharing:
* .obj .ply .md2 .dae .blend
Manage textures in-app:
* Use 8 unique textures per program
* Stream camera to texture
* Customize texture parameters
* Manage Attributes, Varyings & Uniforms
* Bindings (multi-touch, motion & more)
* Orthographic & perspective projection
* Retina enabled
* Optional framerate & triangle counter
* Export via email attachment
* Export via iTunes File Sharing
* Export vertex data as .h (static arrays)
* Universal, buy once run on iPod/iPhone/iPad
* OpenGL ES 2.0 widely supported inc. WebGL
* Requires iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4th Gen, iPad or later
* Requires iOS 4.0 or later
* 11.2 MB
Pricing and Availability:
GLSL Studio 1.02 is only $4.99 USD or equivalent amount in other currencies and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Productivity category.
kode80 LLC was founded in 2009 by Ben Hopkins to provide software development services to clients around the world and games, tools and toys to the masses. Ben has been writing software for over 15 years on a variety of platforms ranging from game consoles to desktop to mobile. Previous iOS Apps from kode80 (HoloToy and 1-bit Ninja) have won various awards, been featured by Apple and hit the top App Store charts worldwide. Copyright (C) 2009 - 2011 kode80 LLC. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.