App Tamer 1.3 Improves AutoStop, Adds AppleScript Support
May 30, 2012 in Utility
[prMac.com] Blacksburg, Virginia - St. Clair Software today is happy to announce an update to App Tamer, its Macintosh utility that automatically pauses applications to improve battery life and reduce CPU usage. Praised by both users and the press for its sophistication and ease of use, App Tamer makes it easy to conserve battery and CPU power. This update fixes two issues that could cause App Tamer's AutoStop feature to misbehave, offers a new setting to fine-tune AutoStop, and adds support for AppleScript.
About App Tamer:
Some Mac applications, especially web browsers, continue running tasks or animations even when they're supposed to be idle in the background. This can consume valuable processing power and reduce battery life. App Tamer's unique AutoStop capability automatically pauses these applications when you switch away from them, and then restarts them when you click back to them. This frees your CPU and reduces power consumption.
App Tamer 1.3 includes these changes:
* You can now set up App Tamer to only use AutoStop when your battery charge is below a certain percentage. Doing this will minimize battery drain when you are not plugged in, speed recharge time when you are plugged in, and will otherwise keep AutoStop turned off
* App Tamer now offers several AppleScript commands that let you to turn AutoStop on and off in your AppleScripts, as well as wake a stopped application
* A problem has been fixed that could cause helper applications for your web browser to get stuck, sometimes freezing the browser
* On some machines, disabling AutoStop for a specified number of minutes didn't work - it would always turn back on after 5 minutes. This has been fixed
* Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6 or 10.7 (Lion)
Pricing and Availability:
App Tamer 1.3 is a free update for registered users. It is $14.95 (USD) for Mac users who have not purchased it yet. Please see the St. Clair Software web site for a full change log, additional feature information and a free 15 day demo.
Based in Blacksburg, Virginia, St. Clair Software is a privately held company that has been specializing in utilities and custom software solutions for the Macintosh since 1988. St. Clair Software can be contacted at: St. Clair Software, P.O. Box 10184, Blacksburg, VA 24062-0184, USA. Copyright (C) 1988-2012 St. Clair Software. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, and Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.