January 13, 2010 in Software (E)
[prMac.com] Austin, TX - Intego, the Mac security specialist, today announced the release of VirusBarrier X6, the latest version of its acclaimed antivirus and anti-malware software that has garnered excellent reviews from the Mac press. VirusBarrier X6 now provides comprehensive protection from both malware and network threats. VirusBarrier X6 is the only antivirus program for Mac that includes full antivirus and anti-malware protection together with a two-way firewall, network protection, anti-phishing, anti-spyware features and more.
As malware changes, protection needs to be reinforced
While viruses, Trojan horses, worms and other forms of malware are a constant threat to computers of all kinds, cyber-criminals are turning to new techniques to infect and control Macs. These new threats come silently, with little warning, over the Internet: in many cases, simply visiting a booby-trapped web page can compromise a Mac. Focusing on malware or network attacks alone is no longer sufficient to protect Macs from the dangers of the Internet.
Comprehensive protection with VirusBarrier X6
VirusBarrier X6, the latest version of Intego's network and malware security program, includes threat-detection techniques, improved methods of detection, combined detection protocols, proactive behavioral analysis, and a full range of defensive functions. VirusBarrier X6 protects Macs from all known network-based threats, as well as all known malware.
Customers spoke, we listened
Intego's customers have told us what they wanted, and we listened. VirusBarrier X6 includes many major changes compared to the X5 version. Here's some of what we've done to make VirusBarrier X6 the best Mac security program:
* New low price: customers told us they wanted lower prices; we made VirusBarrier X6 much less expensive than the X5 version.
* Standard license protects two Macs: many of our customers have both desktop and laptop Macs, and want to be able to use VirusBarrier on both computers. Our standard license now protects up to two Macs.
* Family savings: families with multiple Macs can now buy 5-Mac family packs for just a bit more than standard license to protect their entire family, offering the lowest cost per Mac for multi-Mac users.
* Integrated two-way firewall: an antivirus is no longer enough to protect Macs from the dangers of the Internet. We've added a powerful 2-way firewall to VirusBarrier X6, making it the only antivirus for Mac with comprehensive protection.
* Phishing protection: phishing is one of today's most serious threats, where scammers attempt to fool users into giving up personal information on bogus web sites, and VirusBarrier X6 provides robust protection against this menace.
* Protection against all types of malware: with new threats, Mac users need new protection. VirusBarrier X6 protects against all types of viruses and malware, as well as network threats, phishing, spyware and much more.
More than 100 new features
In addition to being the best defense against viruses and malware for Macs, VirusBarrier X6 adds more than 100 new features that provide hardened security and help protect against the latest threats. Here are some of them:
* Two-way firewall: VirusBarrier X6 now includes a powerful two-way firewall, extending the program's protection beyond detecting and eradicating malware. This firewall offers preset configurations, for most users, and customizable, rule-based settings for advanced users, to protect Macs from dangerous network traffic.
* Antivandal and web threat protection: VirusBarrier X6 protects users from intrusions, attacks and booby-trapped web pages. A full range of features is included to protect against the many new types of threats facing Internet users.
* Dynamic Code Monitoring: Intego's new technology detects suspicious actions carried out by applications that may be malicious, and detects malware by examining its code as it acts in real time.
* Phishing protection: Mac users are protected from phishing web sites that try to trick them into entering personal information, such as a credit card number or a password, on a site that looks exactly like a valid web site.
* New types of malware detected: VirusBarrier X6 detects a wide range of new types of malware, such as scareware (software that tries to trick users into thinking their Mac is infected, in order to get them to pay for software), spyware (including commercial software used as keyloggers or monitoring tools), hacking tools, dialers (software that initiates phone calls to premium-rate phone numbers), proof-of-concept malware (software designed to show how to exploit a vulnerability, which is not circulating "in the wild"), and more.
* Fine-tuned scanning and security policies: choose from a number of detailed options to determine exactly what is scanned and when, and the type of threats that VirusBarrier X6 scans for. There are also basic settings for users who don't need such detailed options.
* Performance control: users can choose a level of CPU time to be allocated to background scans, in order to optimize CPU and disk priorities for malware scans.
* 64-bit software: all of Intego's software is now provided with 64-bit code, fully compatible with Snow Leopard, and ready for the future.
* Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6 (Leopard or Snow Leopard)
* Runs on Macs with Intel or PowerPC processors
Pricing and Availability:
VirusBarrier X6 is available now. Standard licenses protect up to 2 Macs. Also available: 5-Mac family packs and multi-seat licenses. For pricing and upgrade information, see Intego online. Also available is Internet Security Barrier X6, which includes VirusBarrier X6 and four other Intego programs, ContentBarrier, Personal Backup, Personal Antispam and FileGuard, providing parental control, backup, antispam, confidential document protection features and much more.
Intego develops and sells desktop Internet security and privacy software for Macs. Intego provides the widest range of software to protect users and their Macs from the dangers of the Internet. Intego's multilingual software and support repeatedly receives awards from Mac magazines, and protects more than one million users in over 60 countries. Intego has headquarters in the USA, France and Japan. For further information, please visit them online.