February 22, 2010 in Business (E)
[prMac.com] Maidenhead, UK - Byte Squared today announces the release of its free "try before you buy" office app for the iPhone and iPod touch. The product, named "Office2 Plus", provides document editing and spreadsheet editing with support for the .DOC and .XLS formats and lets the user "in-app" purchase the ability to save files. Users benefit from a wealth of free features including:
Viewing And Organising Documents Including Cloud-Based Services:
* View many different file formats including DOCX, XLSX, PPT, PPTX, iWork, PDF, HTM, Images etc
* Access documents stored in Google Docs, iDisk and any WebDAV server, including open, edit, save, delete and rename.
* Create or delete folders.
* Move or copy documents between folders locally.
* Move or copy documents between Google Docs or iDisk accounts and the local folders.
* Move or copy documents within folders in Google Docs or iDisk accounts.
* Email documents as attachments.
* Transfer files to and from the device by mouting Office2 Plus as a drive from Finder or Windows Explorer.
Word Processor Features:
* View, create, and edit documents in Word 97-2003 (.doc) format. Compatible with Microsoft Word, NeoOffice and any other .doc compatible word processor. Saving may be optionally enabled through an in-app purchase.
* Character formatting, including text and fill color, bold, italic, underline, font face and size.
* Paragraph formatting including alignment, indenting, bullets and numbering.
* Support for tables, including table creation.
* Support for images, including inserting of images from the camera roll or pasting from other programs.
* Searching of text within documents.
* Undo and redo, up to 100 undo levels.
* Copy and paste within the app in addition to copy and paste of text and images from other applications, including Safari.
* Auto-correction and auto-completion are supported.
* View, create, and edit documents in Excel 97-2003 (.xls) format. Compatible with Microsoft Excel, NeoOffice and any other .xls compatible spreadsheet editor. Saving may be optionally enabled through an in-app purchase.
* Support for multiple worksheets.
* Multiple cell types, including Numeric, Date, Time, Date/Time, Currency, Percentage and Text.
* Cell formatting options, including bold, italic, text and background color, cell sizes and alignments.
* Merged cells, text wrapping and freeze panes.
* Copy/cut/paste operations.
* A range of functions, including date/time, math, statistical, string and trigonometric functions.
Byte Squared CEO Simon Bates said: "Too often companies release a cut-down version of their paid app, which they give away for free in order to entice users to their paid app, however this fails for two reasons: firstly, the user does not have a complete picture of the paid app functionality and secondly, if the user wishes to upgrade, they must download another app, thereby losing all the data they built up in the free app. We believe that in-app purchasing within a free app is the best way to tackle the 'try before you buy' concept and we are pleased to announce the first office-based app for the iPhone that allows users to do exactly that."
* iPhone and iPod touch
* Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later
* 2.7 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Office2 Plus 3.0.1 is free and available now exclusively through the App Store in the Business category.
Byte Squared provides a range of software for mobile devices. It was established in 2009 and is a privately held company headquartered in Maidenhead in the UK. Copyright (C) 2009-2010 Byte Squared. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.