March 11, 2010 in Productivity (F)
[prMac.com] Lexington, Kentucky - Aster Software has announced the release of FamViewer 2.2 an update to its genealogy application for iPhone and iPod touch devices. FamViewer allows genealogists to carry their genealogy databases with them on their iPhone and iPod touch.
FamViewer imports standard GEDCOM files and displays them on the iPhone. GEDCOM files can be uploaded to FamViewer with a web browser on a desktop computer or downloaded to FamViewer from any web site or web server via WiFi. FamViewer will import the GEDCOM file and display its contents. Once a GEDCOM file is downloaded and imported you can view individuals, families, notes and sources. Navigate the family tree with a touch. You can carry your genealogy database with you wherever you bring your iPhone or iPod touch.
New in version 2.2 is the New Note feature. Add a New Note to anyone in the database. Users can then email all the new notes to themselves, either in plain text format or as a GEDCOM file. The New Notes feature allows users to add details of their research when at an archive or cemetery.
FamViewer can display an eight generation ancestor chart for anyone in the database. Tap on the name of anyone displayed in the chart and go to their family page.
An index by surname allows the user to find anyone in the database. A family view, resembling a family group sheet, displays three generations of a family: parents, children, and grandparents. Touch the parent's names to view the details of their life events and personal attributes. Each event and attribute can have sources and notes, which are visible in another view. All the FamViewer views work in portrait or landscape orientation so long names, places, dates or other data can be easily viewed.
FamViewer isn't tied to any desktop genealogy software. Active genealogy researchers already own genealogy software that they run on their desktop, or laptop, computers. All modern genealogy software can export their genealogy databases in GEDCOM format. FamViewer will import GEDCOM files exported by today's popular genealogy applications.
User comments about FamViewer from online reviews:
"A perfect solution. This genealogy app is exactly what I've been waiting for."
"Great iPhone App. This is a great portable application that I have long awaited for my iPhone. I use Family Tree Maker and have successfully imported 80,000 names. The customer support and responsiveness is awesome!"
"Love it, and with the latest update, you can see the actual pedigree chart, it's great."
"Outstanding software. Outstanding value. It was great having my entire TMG database (all 2700 people and nearly 2000 sources) with me on the last two business trips to Washington DC (the Archives and the DAR Library) and all on the iphone."
Version 2.2 improvements:
* New Notes feature allows users to add a note to each individual in the database and then email all of the New Notes to themselves. New Notes can be emailed as a simple text message or all the New Notes can be included in a GEDCOM file
* Display of adopted children has been improved. If a person in the database has multiple sets of parents you can switch between display of these multiple sets of parents in a way similar to the way multiple spouses are displayed.
* Repository information is now displayed in the Sources view
* Multiple names are displayed for individuals on the Person view. Each name included in the database for an individual is displayed on its own line in the Person view
* Parsing of names has improved so all prefix, suffix, and nicknames will be displayed correctly
* Parsing and display of Address information has been improved
If an imported file fails to import due to a 'bad file format' error the start of the offending file is displayed in the error dialog to help diagnose the error
* Numerous GEDCOM parser improvements and performance improvements have been made
* Display of some Notes and Sources has been improved
Version 2.1 improvements:
* Speed improvements to the index. The index will now be more responsive for large databases of 5MB and larger
Index now supports Lastname Firstname, Firstname Lastname, and both searches on devices with iPhone OS 3.0
* New history feature keeps a list of all persons visited in the tree. The user can choose from 10 to 100 of the most recently visited persons to be displayed in a list. A pushpin prevents a person from being removed from the list
* Now displays submitter information in the GEDCOM file info view
* Changes to the various views that display a title and a value to make them easier to read
* Users can type %20 to represent a space character in filenames to be downloaded from the Downloads view. For example: My Database.ged
* Sevaral bugfixes that improve the stability of the application
Version 2.0 improvements:
* Added family tree view that allows viewing eight generations of a family tree
* Added support to display long notes
* Added ability to connect to FamViewer using Bonjour
* Improvements to the networking code should provide better reliability on certain networks
* Implement choosing the home family
* Added progress bar that shows progress of importing a GEDCOM file
* Plays a sound when the GEDCOM import is complete
* Changed placeholder text on the family page view from 'Grandfather'/'Grandmother' to 'None' due to user feedback
* iPhone and iPod touch
* Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later
* 1.1 MB
Pricing and Availability:
FamViewer can be purchased at the Apple appstore and is priced at $14.99 (USD). To find out more about FamViewer visit the appstore with iTunes. FamViewer is listed under Productivity Applications and Genealogy.
Aster Software is a small company specializing in products for iPhone, iPod Touch, and Macintosh. Copyright (C) 2010 Aster Software. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.